Water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
55 gallon started a week ago today. We have live sand, live rock, and an external power filter. Powerheads are on. Table shrimp in the tank as well. Tested the parameters today::
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrites 0.5
Nitrates 5.0

Salinity is off the charts though. We used the instant ocean aquarium salt and actually put in less than it said to. Do we just need to remove some water and add more back?

Okay then you'll need to remove some water and refill with RO/DI water I'd drain 5 gallons then add fresh water to it till it reads 1.025 then you can estimate how much more you'll need to remove from the main tank

Off the charts using what? A floating needle hydrometer can get a hidden bubble on the back of the needle causing abnormally high salinity readings.
To properly use a floating needle hydromenter (as compared to a dairy hydrometer) do this;
1. Fill to full line with tank water.
2. firmly smack the hydrometer on the table to dislodge air bubbles.
3. smack it harder until it shatters.
4. go buy a refractometer off eBay (about $40)

Off the charts using what? A floating needle hydrometer can get a hidden bubble on the back of the needle causing abnormally high salinity readings. To properly use a floating needle hydromenter (as compared to a dairy hydrometer) do this; 1. Fill to full line with tank water. 2. firmly smack the hydrometer on the table to dislodge air bubbles. 3. smack it harder until it shatters. 4. go buy a refractometer off eBay (about $40)

I'm guessing you don't like hydrometers ?
I have 3 and when checking the salinity knowing they could be off I always second test with a different one .
2 with the same reading can't both be wrong?

They can become inaccurate over time. I've always used them in the past, but just ordered a refractometer figuring its only a few bucks more and IMO, that is money well spent, knowing that future readings are going to be accurate.

Ammonia 0.5
Nitrites 0.5
Nitrates 5.0

Those three are the only ones you need to worry about. Dont worry about the other test as high ammonia will skew those results. Onc your cycle is over then worry about the others.

Well it's been 2 weeks now.. The tank is looking good so far. I tested again tonight.
Ammonia 0
PH 8
Nitrites 0.5
Nitrates 10

Well it's been 2 weeks now.. The tank is looking good so far. I tested again tonight. Ammonia 0 PH 8 Nitrites 0.5 Nitrates 10

It's coming along great .
For only 2 weeks thats fast .
Did you add any kind of nitrifying bacteria to speed it up ?

No, I haven't added anything. It's definitely a test of patience though!!!

No, I haven't added anything. It's definitely a test of patience though!!!

As long as you take your time and be patient it will only make it better for you .
What are you planning on keeping in it ?
Any stocking plans ?

Just some thoughts..

1 coral beauty or 1 flame angel
1 purple firefish
Pair of ocellaris clowns
1 type of goby
1 strawberry dottyback
CUC of usual hermits and snails
A few skunk shrimp
Would love to have a serpent starfish

Open to more suggestions.

Correction-- it's been 3 weeks since the tank has been set up. Don't know if that makes a difference?

Back
Top Bottom