Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water parameters and clean up crew questions

Hi! Today I tested my water parameters. My tank has been cycling for just over two months. It's a 40 gal breeder. My salinity is now going between 1.024-1.025 and the temp is around 74•f. These are my water parameters as of today (attached). I'm wondering if its time to add a clean up crew. I've had my eye on a scooter blenny but I've read they aren't always compatible with fish and other clean up guys. Can anyone give me some good ideas for a cuc? One fish I definitely know I want is 2-3 Bangaii Cardinals maybe a coral beauty or flame angel and unsure about the others. I have no current plans for any corals, just fowlr right now. Here's a link to my tank album so far with some hitchhiker pics I posted in another thread!! Thanks for the help!! http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...83-albums.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-736498417.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	169073  

Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

CUC kind of depend on what you want/ what you want to be taken care of. I personally like emerald crabs. I've read many threads that say they are very safe with fish. They are too slow to catch any, that is unless a fish is already on the verge of death and not swimming. They will eat a large variety of things including some algae and detritus. They are good for bubble algae too, one of the few. They so fight with each other though.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have Nassarius snails are good as they stir up the sandbed. During the day the hide in the sand with their snorkels sticking out. When lights off they come out. Nice not to see snails out during the day.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #4

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Thanks for the info!! Are the nassarius snails okay with hermit crabs? What about these guys with electric blue hermits? Anyone know anything about scooter blennys? Does anyone think its too early for a cuc? How long after the cuc is added should I wait to add my first fish?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

Getting a cleanup crew before you have anything to clean up isn't a good idea. Most will starve to death due to no build up of food in the sandbed. I would get CUC after the tank is more established.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Getting a cleanup crew before you have anything to clean up isn't a good idea. Most will starve to death due to no build up of food in the sandbed. I would get CUC after the tank is more established.
Do you mean after fish are added or that I should leave it empty with just my hitchhikers for longer?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I added a cuc to my cycled tank in about two weeks. They all survived. They dont need alot to survive. Theres always stuff on your live rock to eat. I added fish months down the road so i didnt start feeding till than. Enerald crabs if they have no algae or food to eat will starve to death, and will turn on your coral
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

I guess really I need to know where to start since it appears my tank is ready for animals. What do I add first? Fish? Cuc? Should I wait for more coralline?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coraline algae is a sign of a healthy tank. Your rocks will turn purple in time. As long as your nitrates nitrites abd ammonia is low you can start adding animals. Cuc

Tags
beginner advice, clean, clean up crew, meters, parameters, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com