Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL getting your nitrates to zero will help, but it won't make the algae go away... it will more just slow it. If you leave the lights off for a few days that will help as well.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #132
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok maybe I'll try that! That won't effect the fish?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not really, if you had corals they would be most affected by it. It'll kinda be like it was a storm that blew over...
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #134
Aquarium Advice Freak

I turned the lights off for two days seemed to help some what, also picked up a green crab to eat some of the remaining algae the lawn mower was twice the price so I opted for the crab i think it's an emerald crab, was this a good choice?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #135
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also asked my lfs if they'd take my clowns and they said no :-/
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #136
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am in love with my LFS, I dropped a 20 on the ground and the clerk handed it to me on my way out O_o. Too bad yours didn't accept the clowns, not even free of charge? Also a lawnmower blenny is much better at killing off algae. You'd need several emeralds to do the same thing as a single lawnmower.

Also, as with all Mithrax, emeralds are finicky in a reef setting so if you plan on getting corals keep an eye on him.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #137
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia
I am in love with my LFS, I dropped a 20 on the ground and the clerk handed it to me on my way out O_o. Too bad yours didn't accept the clowns, not even free of charge? Also a lawnmower blenny is much better at killing off algae. You'd need several emeralds to do the same thing as a single lawnmower.

Also, as with all Mithrax, emeralds are finicky in a reef setting so if you plan on getting corals keep an eye on him.
Wow that's awesome my lfs is always tryin to take my 20's lol, hmm maybe I should invest in the blenny then.. Well see I'm still working on keeping the water in check so in worried about the added bioload but I just did a pwc and my trates are down to 10 they were off the charts a week ago. Keep an eye on him like he might start to eat the corals??
Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #138
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok just for an update, I did my last pwc of 10 gal last tuesday and today is Sunday and my levels are
Ph 8.3
Am:0
Trite:0
Trate:5-10
Sg 1.026
Temp 76
This is the longest ive gone without Doin a water change and w/o seeing any sign of ammonia which is nice, does this mean I'm close to being cycled?? I will be doing my weekend change on tues regardless of ammonia, please let me know how you think im Doin
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Did you see any nitrites at all? you could have missed it maybe. but your parameters sound good. Your system is starting to eat up the ammonia.

All this work hasn't been for nothing. lol
Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #140
Aquarium Advice Freak

No sign of trites at all but my lfs said it can change so quickly you may miss it, are you saying that's true??

Tags
meters, parameters, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com