Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The skimmer hasn't made any foam yet the directions say that there is a break in period and it won't produce much if any for a week or so

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You also need organic material for it to work too.

Do you have any livestock in the tank?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The water shouldnt help cycle the tank, since most bacteria is on the sand, rock, and filter
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have two clowns/ I am so new to this and have Been trying to figure the nit cycle do I have this right ammonia turns to trite turns to trate and then the only way to get the trate down is to do a water change? Or does it cycle back to ammonia? I have 2 books that I've read but neither explain the end of the cycle too well
Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You should have only nitrates in a cycled tank. BUT you have the trates I think cause you brought over used water.

I would have to say you are not cycled yet. :-(

I would be testing daily for all three, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

A pwc would be a great start when you get home.

If you get ANY ammonia readings over the next week or so you must do a pwc asap.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok sounds good, my ammonia is zero so are the trites, I'll to a 15 gal change? Should I see a drop in trates after that? And should I maybe ask for a used peice of filter media? At the fish store? I have one bag o live sand and about 50 lbs of LR from the same tank the waters from
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would take whatever you can get. Used filter media helps with the cycle. But so should the 50lbs of live rock.

Try the pwc and test, see where you are at. You have a ton of trates so one pwc might not be enough to see a huge drop off.

Keep in mind that as your tank cycles it will also produce more nitrates. Keep your feeding to a minimum and don't add anything else til youre sure you finished your cycle.

With the lr and sand you should probably see a small-ish spike of ammonia and nitrites, make sure you are testing so you will see it too. Then after that spike you should have a properly cycled tank. Yay!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I may even leave work a little early to go take care of the change, but just so I understand the cycle completely because the books I have don't explain it well enough. In a cycled tank ammonia slowly builds then peaks off and trites slowly go up and ammonia drops off then trites peak and slowly go down as trates build to a peak. But what gets rid of the trates is it only pwcs or will it cycle back to ammonia ? Just so I understand it properly
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nope, only a pwc or algae problems will eat up nitrates. Or plants.

You should never see any ammonia or trites after you finish a cycle. Only trates. I happen to have 0 nitrates in my 55g, but thats cause I do alot of pwc's and I guess I got lucky too. But if I see any ammonia or nitrites now i have a problem. Once your cycle completes it should be only nitrates you see.

The skimmer will also help once it breaks in. It sucks up any organic matter in the tank which will help keep your trates down and avoid any other nasties that organic matter build up can cause.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I think I understand so after it cycles I will only see trates. And if the levels climb to 20 ppm it's time to water change. And I just have to keep on top of that,

Tags
meters, parameters, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com