Water parameters for a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just noticed this worm thing in the live rock good bad?

Attachments

• image-2633450230.jpg
    image-2633450230.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 218
If the stabilify was free then i don't see any harm in using it. I wouldnt waste any money on bacteria in a bottle or anything that claims to help your cycle.

If I were you, I would do the water change, test again and see how low the nitrates get. After that I would say test daily and if you see any ammonia then do a smaller pwc if it goes to .25ppm.

You seem to be in a fish in cycle. Theres some great step by step articles on here that show you exactly how it's gonna go.

That worm might be a bristleworm, I'm terrible at identifying stuff in pictures lol

if it is its your option to keep him or not. I hear they have one nasty sting though. Some people like them so consider them pests. me, i wouldnt tolerate one in my tank if I found one. :-D

Hmm interesting I'm gunna hold off on the stability for now and see how the change goes , and as for the worm I'll do some research later I dunno if I like the idea of a stinging worm

Looks like the nitrate came down to between 40 and 80 so that's a little better but still hi !! What now lol more pwc?

I'd leave it for a bit. Unless you get ammonia at .25 or more, then you get to do another pwc. :-D

Lol ok so wait for some ammonia before doin another pwc even tho the trates are still hi?

If your tank isn't cycled most likely you will see some ammonia soon. if not I would wait a few days and then pwc. Your fish are doing well and I wouldn't want to tell you to keep changing their water just in case something happens.

Normal nitrates should be 20 or under. Another large pwc will knock that down in half almost, but I'd give my fish a break form a water change for now. :-D

Ok thanks for your help I'm gunna go watch the bruins game and give the fisheys a break for tonight, thanks for your help so far

Ok so today is looking a little diff the is what looks like brown algae on the sand and LR? Uh oh
Here's my water test results
Ph: 7.8
Am: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:40
Temp 80
Why is there brown stuff forming?? Is it because the ph dropped slightly from yesterday??

Probably just diatoms. All new tanks go through this stage. it will burn itself out, dont' worry.

I've heard of something called a "brown out" is that what this is? I am also worried about the slight drop on ph should I be conceded about it? I do have a ph buffer that's supposed to keep it at 8.3 or something like that but I haven't used it yet

Hmm. If anything I would have thought the ph would go up since you keep replenishing the salt when you do pwc's.

I would keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it stabilizes. If not I would try the buffer. I'm uber hesitant to put anything chemical in my tanks though, so I would have to be compelled to do it.

Let's see if anyone else can chime in.

Glad you feel that way! So many people throw so much stuff in their tanks it amazes me. The only guilty pleasure I have is sometimes I put in some purple up. I have had the same bottle since February lol, shows how much I use it.

As a good rule don't put anything in your tank that you can not test for.

I feel the same about some human medicines too tho haha. I also have a bottle of the purple but have not used it yet, should I prepare for anoter water change to get the trates down, this weekend?

I would be more concerned with ammonia and trites right now. You could probably get by til after the weekend if the other levels don't rise.

Personally, I would probably do a pwc, regular amt, on Sunday and maybe set that up as your weekly pwcs day. I like SUndays for some reason, I get most of my tanks done in one day

What would you suggest for a reg amount for a 46 g tank? Sundays are prolly the best days there's never anything to do haha

Back
Top Bottom