Water parameters for a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thanks for the advice! I've got too much money wrapped up in this and I really love the colors found in SW aquariums so I can't help not being on top of everything and my gf and I love watching it before bed we don't even put the tv on haha, as for that algae it looks pretty strange im still hoping it will go away like everyone says it will, but I guess it makes sense that they're releasing gas if they respire using photosynthesis?? I dunno lol but I'll keep you posted with tomorrows pwc, I need to get one of those gravel attachments so I can maybe get rid of some of it!! Again thanks for all the help

Think I should get something to eat some of this algae?? It's everywhere lol it brown algae, I have to go to the fish store to get ro later anyways

Hmm I wouldn't add anything living to the tank yet. The brown will die off though. :) Eventually....

Noticing I slight odor coming from the tank is that normal?? Nothin real bad but jw

Hmm wish I could tell you I don't make it to the beach much ! Lol, I'm too Irish and too pale, but it's not a stinky smell just sorta saltier than normal

Probably fine, where do you keep your salinity at? Or could be the sweet smell of salt since you've been doing so many pwc's LOL

Lol it's usually between 1.025 an 26, just did a pwc of 10 gal. And am just finishing the tests
Ph: 8.3
Am:0
Trite:0
Trate: looks to be between 40 and 20
So it still seems to be coming down!!

And I bought a gravel vac and sucked up alot of the brown algae that was in the sand, it wouldn't get it off the rock tho :-/ bummer, I ordered a mag float glass cleaner on eBay those things are expensive in the stores!! I was able to get one for 12 bucks they wanted like 25 at the store! Also I went to a diff store for the ro it was half the price of the other store, but I took your advice and ran a test before I mixed my salt in and it came back clean! I really need to figure out how to work my rodi!

You can post a help htread under equipment, someone is bound to have the unit you have. Mine just hooks up to my garden hose.

I'd still keep on the testing and if you hit ammonia just do a pwc. You could also do one to try to get the trates down in a few days. Looks like all this water changing has finally worked. lol

Lol it's starting to work anyways! The tank is thanking me but my back sure isn't from hauling all these buckets around haha! That's a good idea on posting some questions in general hardware the only question I have is there is a valve on the waste line that is looped and no one else's has it it's strange but I'll put a post up tonorrow

Guess what? You know what time it is, its PWC time.

Try to do a good solid one too, get those trates back down a bit too. :)

It's slow going when fish are in the tank. If you had no livestock you could let the ammonia run crazy and the trites would show up quicker. But since you need to keep the ammonia level down so your fish don't die it will take a bit.

Ooo understandable lol I knew I shouldnt have bought them lol but 30 bucks for 2 good sized clowns I could help myself I guess Hopfully I can pwc tonight

Nice. No ammonia. I would give your fish a break for a day or two then water change. Those nitrates are crazy. lol

Youre using ro/di water right? And you tested the water for nitrates before it goes in the tank? Not every time but have in the past?

I just don't get why the trates don't really go down after a pwc. It's uncanny.

Are you overfeeding or anything? Just trying to ask the right questions so others may help too. :)

Lowsdime said:
Hmm interesting I'm gunna hold off on the stability for now and see how the change goes , and as for the worm I'll do some research later I dunno if I like the idea of a stinging worm

I wouldn't worry about the worm,it actually does a great cleanup job,and having a few helps your tank,especially new tanks.I have picked them up by hand and it is no big deal.How much rock do you have in your tank,if you don't have at least one and a half,preferably two lbs. Per gallon you are going to have nitrate problems constantly.

Back
Top Bottom