Water parameters for a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would Macro Algae help to reduce the nitrate level in this situation? I am a newbie and my nitrate level is out of range in my 120 gallon work in progress tank and I want to find a way to stabilize it naturally.

Yes macro algae in the sump can filter out some nitrates. But the real question is how come you have so much. How big and how often are your water changes?

So ur telling me this grassy stuff will disappear?

Attachments

• image-2449262768.jpg
    image-2449262768.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 123
Is this normal it's taking over the tank??

Attachments

• image-3614446361.jpg
    image-3614446361.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3546612781.jpg
    image-3546612781.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 135
Also have quite a few of these sea star things can anyone tell me more about these

Attachments

• image-1682994490.jpg
    image-1682994490.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2338285416.jpg
    image-2338285416.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 122
Today's results
Ph 8.3
Am0
Trite0
Trate 15
Does algae eat nitrate cuz they seem to be falling and the algae is growing like crazy

Well it's good that my trates are down but do I have to get them to zero to get the algae to go away??

LOL getting your nitrates to zero will help, but it won't make the algae go away... it will more just slow it. If you leave the lights off for a few days that will help as well.

Not really, if you had corals they would be most affected by it. It'll kinda be like it was a storm that blew over...

I turned the lights off for two days seemed to help some what, also picked up a green crab to eat some of the remaining algae the lawn mower was twice the price so I opted for the crab i think it's an emerald crab, was this a good choice?

I am in love with my LFS, I dropped a 20 on the ground and the clerk handed it to me on my way out o_O. Too bad yours didn't accept the clowns, not even free of charge? Also a lawnmower blenny is much better at killing off algae. You'd need several emeralds to do the same thing as a single lawnmower.

Also, as with all Mithrax, emeralds are finicky in a reef setting so if you plan on getting corals keep an eye on him.

Sarcothelia said:
I am in love with my LFS, I dropped a 20 on the ground and the clerk handed it to me on my way out o_O. Too bad yours didn't accept the clowns, not even free of charge? Also a lawnmower blenny is much better at killing off algae. You'd need several emeralds to do the same thing as a single lawnmower.

Also, as with all Mithrax, emeralds are finicky in a reef setting so if you plan on getting corals keep an eye on him.

Wow that's awesome my lfs is always tryin to take my 20's lol, hmm maybe I should invest in the blenny then.. Well see I'm still working on keeping the water in check so in worried about the added bioload but I just did a pwc and my trates are down to 10 they were off the charts a week ago. Keep an eye on him like he might start to eat the corals??

Ok just for an update, I did my last pwc of 10 gal last tuesday and today is Sunday and my levels are
Ph 8.3
Am:0
Trite:0
Trate:5-10
Sg 1.026
Temp 76
This is the longest ive gone without Doin a water change and w/o seeing any sign of ammonia which is nice, does this mean I'm close to being cycled?? I will be doing my weekend change on tues regardless of ammonia, please let me know how you think im Doin

Did you see any nitrites at all? you could have missed it maybe. but your parameters sound good. Your system is starting to eat up the ammonia. :)

All this work hasn't been for nothing. lol

No sign of trites at all but my lfs said it can change so quickly you may miss it, are you saying that's true??

Back
Top Bottom