Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do 2 5g water changes a week on my 55g. As far as getting your trates down. You can do a PWC every 3 days till they get to 20ppm. Once they get to 20ppm then you can either stay on top of it with water changes or start thinking about macro's to use as a natural nitrate reducer. Once they get to 20ppm it seems harder to get them down. Just stay on top of it and don't give up. I was at 160ppm at one time too. I am now between 2-5ppm all the time (Knock on wood) I am still trying to hit 0 and stay there.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the help I know these are probably elementary questions but all the help is appreciated, what is considered a natural trate reducer?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would do an even 10g. two buckets out, two buckets in.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowsdime View Post
Thanks for all the help I know these are probably elementary questions but all the help is appreciated, what is considered a natural trate reducer?
Thats the beauty of this forum you can ask any question. Natural Nitrate reducers are macro algaes mangroves, halmedia, etc. www.reefcleaners.org has a great selection. Some people make a refugium in there sump and add it there some can take over tanks if you put in the display. Some people use algae scrubbers. Me? I took mangroves and hung them along the back of the tank. There are a lot of ways to reduce nitrates and keep them down. Go into google and do search you will find a ton of ways. Just pick one you like and go with it. I don't think I have enough mangroves to reduce nitrates much if any but I think they look cool.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good tip thanks I don't have a refugium setup wish I did maybe soneday
Old 06-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok today there's even more brown algae in the rock and sand, I've read that this will come and go with the tank maturation, hopefully it will, but here are the test results
Ph is 8.0
Ammonia is .25 !
Nitrite is 0ppm
Nitrate is 20 ppm

So ammonia is building and nitrates are dropping off does that sound right? Should I leave everything alone or what should I do?! This is exciting seeing some changes! Even tho that algae looks nasty haha
Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowsdime View Post
Ok I think I understand so after it cycles I will only see trates. And if the levels climb to 20 ppm it's time to water change. And I just have to keep on top of that,
This is not correct! you don't wait until the nitrates get to 20 ppm's. You must get into the habit of doing either 20% PWC every two weeks or better yet every week. If you wait you will only stress your animals.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

He is pretty much cycling with fish in. His trates were over 160ppm a few days ago, he's been doing massive pwc's

On another note, you asked when to pwc again, lol, now is the time. That ammonia is what i was talking about earlier. You will probably start seeing nitrites soon as your cycle progresses.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do u think it can go till tomorrow or it should be done tonight Carey?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since you have ammonia I'd say sooner the better.

Tags
meters, parameters, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com