water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i have what seems to be a cloudy substance on the water surface. it just looks like dust.....this is a fairly new tank, about 2 months. ive been doing regular weekly water changes. i just need to know if this is regular for a new tank, if not....please help. thanks

Its protein. Not a major thing IMO.. I get it from time to time on both of my tanks. I adjust the return overflows for 30 min or so and it sucks it off the surface. Normal in new and old tanks.....

A HOB skimmer that skims water from the surface will help a lot. Otherwise experimenting with your ph placement should suffice.

no i dont have a protein skimmer......im a student and i dont have a huge budget, is it necessary to have one? i know that they get pricey....i dont want to be cheap on the equipment either.

thanks for the replies

They play a major role in helping to minimize the amount of organics that are processed by the bio cycle. There are folks who successfully maintain a reef without one but more maintenance will be required. There are some DIY skimmer designs out there if you are good at doing that kind of stuff.

more water movement near the surface can help with this also, start with a ph or 2 within a few inches of the surface...that will help with no skimmer

Back
Top Bottom