Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to LeeS
Water Quality/Protien Skimmer

Hello I am new to the saltwater end of this as well as a new member here. I am planning on starting a 29g fish-only tank and was wondering if a protien skimmer is necessary. Also is RO/DI water is absoloutely necessary. Can I use tap water if I allow time for the chlorine to evaporate as I do with my freshwater fish? I have tested the water for phosphates and the results are negative. I have municipal water. Anything else I should be concerned about water-wise. I don't mind spending the money for a purification system it's the wasted water thing I am not fond of.

LeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA. IMO tap water should not be used. I work for a municipal water facility so I know what they put in tap water. A FO tank will make it better than a reef tank if you decide to go that route. Chloramines and chlorine are not your only problems in tap water. I used to have a great link about tap water but when my computer crashed it took it with it. Maybe I`ll find it again someday. Here is a good link on starting up.

Also moving this to the Starting up forum.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I now consider a RODI unit a necessity not a luxury. It does make a difference.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would encourage you to invest in an ro/di unit. I understand about the water wasting......I have two 55 gallon plastic drums that I collect water in, from my ro/di output water line. I water my plants and garden with it.

As mentioned above....it really makes a big difference.
If you can't run with the big dogs - stay on the porch! ***Adopt a retired greyhound ***
MsBeanCtr is offline   Reply With Quote

skimmer, water quality

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com