Water queston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so everyone says i need ro di water i dont have the filter yet because i live in an apartment. i thought about adding one to my dads house and i could just fill jugs up over there. im not sure though if i was going to drive 20 mins to their house couldnt i just get water from the kroger drinking water machine i looked yesterday and it says it uses reverse osmosis to filter just a queston thanks everyone

That's what I do. I bought a few 5g jugs and fill them up for 39 cents a gal. I have had no problems with the water yet. I rent to so a ro unit is not an option yet. It's pretty cheap to get water from the store but I will get a ro when I get a house. I started going to a water place like culligan to get water becase it was close but their water machine has a test light to let you know if the water is ok

It does work this route, but I'd recommend getting a TDS meter and testing the water to ensure you're getting clean stuff. It's also much cheaper to have your own unit, however. Most units can be installed under a sink and have piercing needle valves that work just like an ice-machine hookup, this isn't typically an issue.

I used the grocery store stuff for awhile with little trouble. I agree with Neilan about checking the TDS on it. They also (at least the ones here) have a label with the date of last filter change on the machine. I found that the sooner after the date I got my water, the lower the TDS tested. I never got a full 0 reading until I switched to a home RO unit though.

in the long run you save money buying your own RO/DI unit. Yes, having a reef aquarium, you don't want to use tap water at all. Too high phosphates and other dissolved metals/chlorines.

I have the unit from airwaterice.com ; works for me.

oh, and it doesnt matter you have an apartment, me too. I have the adapter that hooks onto your faucet tap. No problems, so easy

well let me add that my shop has a filter on the ice machine and water fill up for my workers coolers, but it just says iceomatic water filter i dont think its ro . its a single canister so i cant imagine its as good as a 3 canister ro unit

Back
Top Bottom