Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

water sand cloudy

I made the mistake of putting sand into my tank without prerinsing. I normally dont do this but because its sw i just couldnt rinse it out in tap water like i always do. So i just dumped it in and it rubsided after about 4 days. Then I moved the sand around again and it was back to cloudy. . . I did this like 5 times in the last 2 weeks and I am getting anxious. Im assuming that its time to get a powerfilter to clear it up for good?

(all that I have is a skimmer turning the water over. and a tiny red sea nano filter which is doing a decent job haha for now)

Old 09-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Because you did not rinse it, It will take some time. Why are you moving the sand around?

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Why did you stir it up each time it settled? No reason to do that, the fine particles should settle to the bottom eventually and you shouldn't get a dust cloud with minor movement.

How large of a tank is it? How many inches of sand? Is it fine or coarse sand?

You will need more water movement then just a skimmer.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

38 gal. I moved the sand around by pouring in water during water changes. I have a powerhead as well. Its also about 3 inches deep.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Sand shouldn't be moving to the point of cloudiness with pwc even if it's fine sand, pour slower What % are you doing pwc at? Was it a brand of sand you got from a lfs/online designed for SW like CaribSea or was it sand you got from a hardware store?

It should settle down completely eventually.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 09-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

First is it a bad thing that the sand was moved around? the brand is caribsea arogonite and there was ocean direct or something. Im not even doing pwc. The water has been rapidly evaporating and im filling in the lost area.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Moving the top layer (first 1") typically doesn't disturb much but you still want to avoid moving it around too much since it disturbs your bacterial base. Pouring 1-2 gal of water into the tank for top off should not disturb your sand if you do it slowly. You should top off every 2-3 days at the most for top off. Your 38 gal tank should average around 1/2 to 1 gal a day evaporation at the most.

Caribsea is the same brand I prefer and is pretty good with little rinsing needed IME. Everything should settle down soon.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank

Tags
cloud, cloudy, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com