Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2004, 06:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is time for a skimmer.
I would reduce the time the lights are on for now. try 10 hours, and see if it helps

Old 06-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi again,

I ran some tests and here are the results;

Ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrates are less than 10, PH was 8.1 and I've added a little buffer to bring it back uo a bit. Salinity is 1.024 and temp is still 76. I've been leaving the lights out all day aside for a ten minute period for feedings.

It seems a bit better today.

I also added a bit more carbon to the filter and a pouch of phosphate removal resin.

I also removed the foam filter that came with the powerhead I added a few weeks ago. When I rinsed it I couldn't believe tha crap that came out of it. I haven't re-intstalled it.

I also noticed that my hair algae is mostly gone. The last little bits that were clinging to one rock have been removed. Could this be the source of my water-borne algae?

I've taken a few pictures but still do not know how to post them here.

I'll see if I can figure it out and post them later.

Robert

Old 06-27-2004, 11:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea those sponges on the powerheads can get clogged quick and reduce the flow from the powerhead id leave it off !! if its been in there a few weeks could be a issue with the water being cloudy id relax doing anything else for a few days my guess is it should clear up by morning all test look good to me for the basics !! also i hate flake foods !! i always feed misis/clam/shrimp/zooplakton/nori thats about it
Old 06-27-2004, 06:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
yea those sponges on the powerheads can get clogged quick and reduce the flow from the powerhead id leave it off !! if its been in there a few weeks could be a issue with the water being cloudy id relax doing anything else for a few days my guess is it should clear up by morning all test look good to me for the basics !! also i hate flake foods !! i always feed misis/clam/shrimp/zooplakton/nori thats about it
Even since last night I've noticed a change. I was gone all day today and just got back a few minutes ago. The light was off again and I just turned it back on to check out the water and there is an appreciable difference already. Considering the greenish tint the water had, I'm really starting to think the algae bloom trigered by the accidental overfeeding was the culprit. I'll leave the light off again tomorrow.

I'll be getting a skimmer this week anyways. A turboflotor 1000, 2nd hand.

Thanks for all the help guys. You've been great.

And if you don't mind, tell me about this misis/clam/shrimp/zooplakton/nori. Is this a homemade mixture or different frozen foods you buy? If they can be bought, I'll check out my LFS.

Robert
Old 06-27-2004, 06:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

i buy mysis at the local pet shop !! clam/shrimp from the local store !! the zoo i buy is called sweetwater i order from dr/fosters

Tags
cloud, cloudy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com