Water Temp. Too High?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mllrtime33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank's been running for a couple weeks now and the water temp is consistently in the 80-82F range. I still have a few weeks to go before I add any fish, but just so I know, is the temperature too high?

It's a 55 gal tank and I'm running an Eheim 1260 return pump, Koralia 550 circ pump, and Coralife 65 skimmer. Heaters aren't plugged in. For lights, I have two 48" flourescent tubes running on a timer from 8am-8pm.

If I need to bring the temp down, not sure what I can do aside from cutting back on the lights. Any thoughts?

No, 80 is not too high to the point of doing harm. You'll want the temp ideally to be around 76-78, however hitting 80 will be of no concern. My chiller kicks on at anything above 79, but I aim to maintain water at about 79 (I like it a bit warmer than others). My tank is absolutely flourishing, with respect to both fish and coral.

A simple 4" computer fan blowing across the waters surface is capable of cooling the tank a good 3-5 degrees.

Cheap and effective. But to answer your original question 80-82 is not 'too hot' however it is approaching borderline, so a hot day for instance might push the temp a little too high perhaps.

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into adding a fan just in case.

A simple 4" computer fan blowing across the waters surface is capable of cooling the tank a good 3-5 degrees.

Cheap and effective. But to answer your original question 80-82 is not 'too hot' however it is approaching borderline, so a hot day for instance might push the temp a little too high perhaps.

This worked for my 75 gallon but I used a small $10 wal-mart fan in my sump. Cools my tank by about 3 degrees.

Good to know. Does evap increase noticeably when you have the fan running?

Good to know. Does evap increase noticeably when you have the fan running?

Its pretty noticeable I'd recommend a ato if you can.

Here is a shot of mine

img_2043264_0_95d8d30cbbe37125bec5988709f53b32.jpg

Schism said:

I need a new thermometer I still have one of those stick on the outside types and I've seen temp reach 86 and everything is fine , its only gone that high once or twice , but my corals and fish seemed to enjoy it , now that it is back in the 80 -82 range my mushrooms only open up half as much

Newfiereefer said:
I need a new thermometer I still have one of those stick on the outside types and I've seen temp reach 86 and everything is fine , its only gone that high once or twice , but my corals and fish seemed to enjoy it , now that it is back in the 80 -82 range my mushrooms only open up half as much

Chances are your not getting an accurate reading of what your temp actually is.

My old stick on thermometer is whacked. When my tank was running at 79.5 (measured with a high quality float thermometer) the sticky read 85+. I lowered the tank to 78 and the sticky reads 79 now.

Ingy said:
My old stick on thermometer is whacked. When my tank was running at 79.5 (measured with a high quality float thermometer) the sticky read 85+. I lowered the tank to 78 and the sticky reads 79 now.

Weird ..... That is a screwy sticky for sure .

Back
Top Bottom