Water temperature.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
My apartment has really bad circulation.
My water temp has been in the 80 to 82 degree range, and that's because i've been adding frozen water bottles to the sump twice a day. I don't want to keep the ac on 24/7. i know i can put a floor fan on top, but i would like to keep the glass hood on eventhough i do keep them open.

Would it be a big problem if the temp stays in the 80-82 degree range. and when i add the bottle of frozen water, usually three 16 oz bottles the temps drops 1 degree in about 10 minutes. is that a bad thing? i don't have fish in there, but this is one of my final concerns right before i starts introducing live stock to my tank.

thanks in advance

Buy a chiller. It will bring the temp down to exactly what you need it to be. Just make sure you get one with enough wattage according to the amount of gallons your tank is.

I don't think 80-82 is to bad of a temp. It's not bad at all unless you want to keep colder water animals.

Basically yellow tangs, clown fish, firefish, benny or goby, royal gamma. That kind of stuff. and snails of course.

I keep my tang tank at 82. Maybe it's just me, but I've had bad luck with Crypto at lower temperatures.

Mine has been between 79-82 lately because my room keeps fluctuating in temp from all the crazy weather going on in NY. Its annoying, the heater is set to 74 at the moment because the tank has been getting so hot!

Well people, in the beginning of June I bought a chiller through RC's buying and selling forum. The guy never sent me the chiller. At about 14 days after I sent him the payment I filed a complaint with PayPal. I then had to wait another 7 days to file a formal Nonreceipt of merchandise. It took Paypal another 7-8 days following their guidelines and I got my money back. Now the problem is I still don't have a chiller. Don't make the mistake of not checking the buyers history. In my case the guy had a high good guy rating, but had some money problems and thought he could make a fast buck.

Before you lay down the $$ for a chiller, and mess with plumbing it into your system, dealing with the extra heat IT generates, blah blah blah.... I'd really try the clip-on fan route blowing across the top of the tank. The top of the tank does not need to be entirely open - even if it's just blowing across a 4-6 inch wide open section along the back (where those removable plastic areas are on the glass lids), you'll be amazed at how well you can control the tank temp.

82 is a little warm for my tastes, but not out of "normal" range for reef tanks. I keep mine at 80.

Would it be a big problem if the temp stays in the 80-82 degree range. and when i add the bottle of frozen water, usually three 16 oz bottles the temps drops 1 degree in about 10 minutes. is that a bad thing? i don't have fish in there, but this is one of my final concerns right before i starts introducing live stock to my tank.

That is pretty acceptable. As long as you dont have wild temp swings you`ll be OK. Nothing wrong with with temps around 80-82.

I know my lights will generate pleanty of heat. i have two T5's. I haven't even put them on yet. I will try the clip-on fan route, since i definately can't afford a chiller. I will also use the frozen water bottles. i was just concerned with how bad is it for the fish when i cool the tank a whole degree in like 15 minutes with the bottle of ice.

Mine has been between 79-82 lately because my room keeps fluctuating in temp from all the crazy weather going on in NY. Its annoying, the heater is set to 74 at the moment because the tank has been getting so hot!

IMO you should leave your heater up about 78 to keep your system from having too much of a temperature swing.

Back
Top Bottom