Water Temperature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TKEON230

Aquarium Advice Regular
I seem to get mixed responses when I look for information on how hot (or cold) tank water should be for a saltwater aquarium. I eventually want to house some clownfish, firefish, snails, and maybe some smaller corals a year or so from now. When I check www.liveaquaria.com it shows that the ideal temperature for those fish is anywhere between 72-78 degrees. However, with my tank set up and running vented PC lighting 12 hours a day and with the current heatwave outside its been staying more around 80-82. Will this be a problem when it comes time to add lifeforms? Being that this is the hottest it has been in the room that the tank will stay in I don't foresee it getting any hotter. Will this ever be a problem?

Is there a limit to how hot it can get or how long it can stay that hot? Again, I'm experiencing a heatwave where I am right now. It is an unusually hot summer. I just don't want to hurt the fish by the time they are in my established tank by the time next summer rolls around.

The only problem is that you wont be able to keep some snails at that temp. When I had my 55 it would keep mine at 82 and my snails kept dying. There are some that will tolerate higher temps but I do not know which. Now in my 125 temp stays around 76. No problem with the snails now.

Yeah my problem is that I live on the top floor and my A/C unit is probably too small for the large area that it is trying to cool. I'm going to try to blow a fan over the top of the tank and see if that helps. I definitely don't want to resort to a chiller, though. :x-mas:

my 125 reef runs from 78-83 in the summer and all is fine.. I think that if you hit the 85+ mark for a long period then you will have problems..
Some snails will die off in the heat, the margarita(sp) do not handle the heat well from what I have read..
I have a fan in front of my AC and it blows the cool air right at the tank with the stand doors open on hot days..
Like you a chiller for my fish tank is not an option...

Back
Top Bottom