Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are the methods of the more advanced testing kits the same as with API?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some are, some aren't.

The Hanna Checkers are digital photometers. They compare a vial of your tank water vs a vial with a supplied reagant to get a number. Regarded as very accurate.

Other tests (Salifert, RedSea, etc), are all color comparison. The methods differ slightly. Some use powders, some use liquids, some use combinations. Almost all are easier to read than the API test kits.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also is API amonia test on the chopping block? It sounds to me like not all of there tests are obsolete to an advanced aquarist?

Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the API kits for ammonia and nitrIte, as those are fairly basic, and I don't need anything too fancy for them (and I know that my numbers are all 0, and what the color should be).

I stopped using API for phosphate and nitrAte. I use Salifert for Mg and nitrAte now. I use a Hanna Checker for phosphate. I will be switching to Hanna for calcium, most likely, and another brand (undermined as of yet) for alk. This is because the API tests for Ca and Alk are a pain in the rear.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For instance if you are testing amonia it's not logical that your tank would get to a level so low it wouldn't register. I know you have to have amonia in order to have a cycle but is there such a thing as too low?

Old 02-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay you answered that one.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hear you but do you feel they are accurate I have been testing calcium and I know what you mean drop drop drop drop drop and so on. I always just add 15 drops to begin and then one at a time to speed the process.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How I do things is use API to test. Then if I get any bad readings I use a more accurate albeit more expensive / time consuming test to verify. API is good middle of the road in giving approximates.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that API is not perfect. Is this going to be a FOWLR or reef? IMO, for FOWLR, things don't need to be perfect. For reef, the closer to perfect, the better.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm doing a reef I use api some of my corals are still in the process of acclimating I have 2 zoa frags a brain a flower pot a mushroom a leather and that's it I have an anemone a clown and a clean up crew my tank is 60 gal my only problem currently is my calcium is stuck at 400 so I bought a 2 part alkalinity and calcium supplement and just started dosing yesterday. I don't have a whole lot of hard corals so I'm going to start by dosing the recomended ammount 1 time a week and increas accordingly.

Tags
ate, test, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com