Water test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind is best and what is absolutely needed for testing saltwater 55g tank?

Personally is like Salifert the best as far as titration test kits. Hanna Checkers are better but cost quite a bit more than a regular test kit.
Depending on the age of the system, you should be checking nitrate at the very least and if you keep hard corals you need to check calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. It's also good to occassionally test pH.

Salifert here also. Red Sea would be my next choice. On a budget API but I find if you corals you'll need to buy both kits or get them separately. They kinda get you there IMO.

We haven't even gotten started yet. Not even any water in the tank, just getting info. As of right now, we don't plan on doing corals, at least for a while.

Great, thanks! How often should we do water changes after first getting the water and sand in the tank?

And testing how often?

I'd start out testing weekly. Say you do your water changes on Saturdays like me. I test on Wednesday I use to test a lot more but didn't see the need.

On my cichlid tank I can't remember the last time I tested lol. I know that's probably bad but I do my weekly water changes.

And when changing water we should always mix it in a bucket first then dump in tank right?

Back
Top Bottom