water test ph.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just tested my water my ph seems a little low should i ad a Buffer to raise it? Its at 8.0 or is this normal for late in the day? i tested at 8:30 pm central time. Thanks Dewey

It is low for that time of day. I would not suggest adding buffer until you know the cause. The buffer is just a bandaid for an underlying problem.

More often than not, poor ph is due to lack of surface aggitation, insufficient gas exchange from a covered tank or high ambient CO2 in the tank room. If the alkalinity of the water is good and the ph is low, that would be the best place to start.

What time do the light come on in the morning?

Your profile also says you are just converting to saltwater. If this is a cycling tank, the ph will do wonky things for now and should not concern you.

Cheers
Steve

ph

HI thanks for the reply, I think im getting plenty of surface aggitaion. I have a mag12 pump coming from my sump attached to a spray bar which seems to give plenty of aggitation on surface. When water drops to sump it gets lots of bubbles in it. I run my lights from 9 am. to 9pm.....

I do have a canopy over tank but back is open to get air.

Thanks Dewey

All good but how new is the tank and what level is the alk at?

Cheers
Steve

Found this post very interesting since I'm having a similar problem with my tank. didn't know the "poor gas exchange" could cause a drop in ph.

I have a fully covered tank that gets good surface aggitation. Don't know my alk level-I'm ashamed to say that my kit doesn't include alk test and until now, didn't think I needed it.

Here's my question: Assuming alk level is good, how can boost ph? Should I try opening the canopy for a few hours?

PS: All Other readings are good: Amm 0; n'ite 0; n'ate 0; sg 1.024; temp 82

Low ph

Do you have fans in your canopy? I put them in mine it made a huge difference. Good luck Dewey

Assuming alk level is good, how can boost ph? Should I try opening the canopy for a few hours?

Yes. As Steve-S said, you can boost your pH by increasing surface agitation and by increasing gas exchange by opening your canopy. You could also install a fan so that it blows across the surface of the water to help facilitate better gas exchange from the tank to the atmosphere. Note: This will also cool your tank and increase evaporation as well.

Can someone please clarify surface agitation for me? I have a Hagen 402 pointing diagonally across the top of my 37 gal tank, and a Maxi-Jet 600 pointing straight across the bottom of the tank (rock pile in the way for diagonal).

I can see little ripples at the surface of the water. Is that enough agitation, or should I rotate the PH so that the output is pointing upwards towards the water's surface, which I assume will make bigger ripples? :?

Can someone please clarify surface agitation for me? I have a Hagen 402 pointing diagonally across the top of my 37 gal tank, and a Maxi-Jet 600 pointing straight across the bottom of the tank (rock pile in the way for diagonal).

To break the surface of the water would be surface agitation. The more ripples caused, the bigger agitation. Do the water flow from any of your PH's break the surface of the water? Or is all the current under the surface?

I can see little ripples at the surface of the water. Is that enough agitation, or should I rotate the PH so that the output is pointing upwards towards the water's surface, which I assume will make bigger ripples?

You can move the PH's around to create bigger ripples if wanted. I have mine so that they cause a pretty big disturbance on the surface. If I look down through the top of my tank, I can't make out anything under the water because of all the agitation on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom