Water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deandonk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I'm still new to saltwater I was wondering what are the main things to test for I'm my aquarium.

So far I have 2 clowns,3 hermet crabs,5 snails and a emerald crab,also have 3 corals

Sounds like a nice tank. I am just getting into saltwater myself. Just fish so as far as I know just have to check for ammonia ,nitrites, and nitrates just like fresh water. With corals I believe you have to check levels of calcium, phosphates and some others but not sure. What size tank do you have?

It's a juwel rio 180ltr which I've converted from tropical,love it so far,5 weeks in and no problems,got all test kits but not always sure which to do,nitrate,nitrite,ammonia and phosphate are good.

How long you had tank set up for? Not trying be rude but if you don't no what test for and it's new tank your corals might die as dont like change in water quality, and most info out there says wait 6-8 months before adding corals so that gets established

Been set up 5 weeks and going great,fish shop advise me every week and test my water but want to test it more myself.

Best of doing own research on net as guys in shop will just try sell you things don't need. Why think you have corals in new tank. For corals test calcium,magnesium,alkalinity,ph aswell as what you said you test above. I wouldn't risk putting corals in 5 wk old tank as water still getting stable.

So far so good,corals doing good,only got soft coral and easy to keep ones for now.

Hope goes good. Just test often and dose tank if needs and should be ok. What skimmer u using as use have the roi 125 with juwel skimmer and didn't think much of it

I'm using an internal sera 200,seems to be working well.ive thought bout getting the juwel skimmer as looks tidy cased in.

Was ok but I found was always playing with it get max out of it and micro bubbles were mad which I fixed. Love my new tank with sump as dont have to play only to clean

I will stick with my sera one and see how I goes.

Back
Top Bottom