Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

water testing frequency

as most probably know from the thousands of questions that i ask that my tank is freshly cycled and i have added a cleanup crew and a cleaner shrimp...i was just wondering how often u all test your water? what do u test more than others(ammonia, ph, nitrites, nitrates)? and how do u know it is time to change your water...besides your scheduled water changes?

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank has been running for almost a year.I check ammonia,nitrites,nitrates and ph before any addition to tank and usually every 2weeks or so otherwise.Once your tank is established, the need to check reduces.By the way, go slow adding livestock,I like many others learned the hard way of trying to do too much too fast.I had an outbreak of ick that killed all my fish.Let tank go fallow for 6 weeks, then introduced fish slowly after quarantine and current population includes a Coral Beauty,aFoxface Lo,a mated pair of Saddleback Clowns,a Royal Gramma,Fire Shrimp,Chocolate Chip Starfish,numerous snails and hermits.
Use this site for any question no matter how stupid it seems.You will get wonderful advice.Good luck with your new hobby!!!!

Old 07-22-2004, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank u very much ...so far so good...getting a lil algae on the back glass now...i think im on my way to a bloom

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I agree with SABOB about the testing for the most part. I test when I'm going to add a fish, and I don't test often beyond that. Once your cycle is complete and you're not making any additions, you don't need to check ammonia or nitrites. There's no reason for them to rise above 0 if you haven't changed the system any, and even if they did, the fish would probably tell you before a test did. I test nitrates (which go up at a pretty steady rate) and ph every few days.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sting, testing, water testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com