Water Testing Methods????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpguerrette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any suggestions on water test kits / effective methods of test??? Tank is going to be a reef tank once cycling is done.... not sure if the test strips are ok or if the drip kits are a better bet, or if therer is any other methods out there???
Also wondering which is less expensive in the long run and if there is a kit out there that is far superior and tests for everything i would need, like an all in one type deal???
Thanks for the help,
Graig
PS
Any links out there on a list of what exaclty needs to be monitored for a reef tank, just too be sure i am not neglecting anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salifert kits are good...
you should have nitrate, calcium, alkalinity to start with. Phospahte is another good one and salicate. this is all I have ever tested for (except new tank for amm and nitrite)

bare minimum is a SeaChem brand Marine Basic kit. ($25) It has 2 ammonia tests, nitrate, nitrite, pH, and alkalinity. They make a good phosphate kit too, but it's separate($10). Since you said 'reef', you'll also need a calcium test kit, like SeaChem's Reef Status - Calcium kit ($25). Its a little fancier, very accurate...more akin to the Salifert line in quality and price.

Salifert is a great brand too. A little pricey ($20 per test kit) but the quality is top notch. I use their Magnesium test kit ($20)...the instructions are a little weird, obviously a poor translation, but its usable.

Back
Top Bottom