Water Tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiffyCat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I'm testing my water for Ph, amonia, dKH, nitrates and nitrites. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Along those lines, what is the best level of dKH to maintain? Should I try to keep it all the way at 12 or on the low end, towards 7-9? (Saltwater reef tank)

What is in the tank? Fish only you can just test the basics. PH, ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and SG. Reef you probably will want to add CA and DKH (I haven't bought my DKH yet). You can add other tests too if you want (Depends on how much money you have to spend...)

If your looking to get coraline algea to grow and have corals then you should test and use additives for Calcium (400-450) Alkalinity (9-11) This is all I test and use additives for.
More info about the tank would be helpful...

I run my Ca close to 450 and my DKH closer to 11. You should be testing/dosing Ca in conjunction with your Alk so that they don't get out of balance. They should be going up and coming down together. You could also throw Magnesium into the equation (should be 3x Ca). I don't dose what I can't/don't test for.

If your looking to get coraline algea to grow and have corals then you should test and use additives for Calcium (400-450) Alkalinity (9-11) This is all I test and use additives for.

Even with limited experience I have to agree with seaham here, I have coralline now growing on my sand and glass, and I've only had my LR for 10 days. My Ca is 420 and alk a bit above 9.

Midiman How long has your tank been set up? Coraline in 10 days.. wow thats amazing :) Is it due to Ca and Alk levels thanks

I got my live rock on March 4th. Since then I added two AMAZING pieces of coralline-laden branch rock from my LFS. PEr LFS advice, I held each piece in the jet from my return to disperse spores, then placed the rock. Richt now I have neumerous colored grains on my sand, and about 12 oval patches on my back glass (none on the sides). I scraped one small patch off of the front glass.

Some of the patches on the LR were white, but they ar now slowly changing to purple (lower center of rather washed-out pic).

img_361976_0_9706b571c3e15c6e0ccd54691f854b65.jpg

Back
Top Bottom