Water to start tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! Long time reader first time poster :0) I searched and searched for this but can't find an answer...

My LFS sells 4 different types of water:

1. Fresh RODI - $2/5g
2. Instant Ocean - $3.75/5g
3. Reef crystal - $5/5g
4. "Live" water from their 2,000 gallon tank which they say helps establish new tanks

Which should I use to setup my tank and which should I use for water changes? I do not plan on buying a filter and mixing my own water.

my plans for this tank: 26g bowfront, 130 watt pc, 1 MJ 1200, Aqueon HOB, 30lb of sand, will buy 30-40lb of live rock. Plan on setting up 10g sump and skimmer soon. Ive had a few tanks before with mixed results haha so i plan on starting slow and seeing how it all goes, then see if I can handle anything other than a FOWLR. (Feel free to add any advice even if OT!)

Thanks in advance!
-Heed

Use the RODI to top off your tank as water evaporates. That is as pure as you can get as long as they maintain their RODI system. not a bad price either. That does not have salt, but you don't want to top off with saltwater. The salt does not evaporate, only the water.

If you are not going to mix your own saltwater, i would go with the Instant Ocean. Im not sure what the reef crystal is, unless it is just a more expensive salt with extra stuff for reef tanks.

The "live" water sounds like a gimmick. The beneficial bacteria that will develop in your tank, is mostly in/on the rock and sand. Very little is floating around in your tank.

Reef Crystals are made by Instant Ocean, and have extra minerals, etc required for coral growth. For a FOWLR tank, "standard" Instant Ocean is fine.

Thanks for the replies! I feel like the live water is a trick as well, it's not like it would keep a tank from cycling...

IO it is! No need for the extra minerals right now

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom