water treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
After adding water to my tank should i add any chemical treatment for chlorine or anything else before adding the salt.
Thanks

you should really use RO water if you can. many LFS will sell it by the gallon. If you don't have access to that then you should treat your water before adding it to the tank as you don't want anything from your tap water to settle and remain in your substrate. So, use RO water if you can, if not, age and treat the water outside the tank, then add it to the tank. Note, don't fill it up all the way as you'll be adding LR that will likely take up a large amount of the tank's volume. I wouldn't fill it past 2/3 the way up. Bring the water up to temperature and add your PHs. add some salt and let it mix for a while before testing. once you've got the water up to SG 1.023 let it mix over night and test again to be sure before moving forward with your cycle. :)

Just go to your lfs and pick up some dechlorinator(sp?)..stuff to take chlorine out of the water. You should try to get stuff that breaks the chloramine bond too. That is the combination or chlorine and ammonia which can be in your tap water.

Back
Top Bottom