water turning cloudy green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizzo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all I just wanted to say Im new to this site. Im having a problem with my saltwater tank. the water is turnig cloudy green. My fish store that I go to recommended a proten skimmer which I buoght. Its been about 3 weeks now and is still green. I have been playing with the adjuster and one day it cleared up but then went back to green. I have a seaclone skimmer. Any advice would be good. Thanx

:multi::pepsi: WELCOME TO AA.COM :pepsi::multi:
:pepsi:(y) The choice of a Newbie (y) :pepsi:
:smilecolros: Generation :smilecolros:

What kind of water are you using (tap or RO/DI)?

what are your water parameters? Also , what is your stock and do you have any macro algea?

little hint on your seaclone skimmer !! if you want to help it perform alot better drill a 3/16th hole into the lid and add a small wood air stone attached to some undergravel hard air tubing with a small air pump !! you can dial it in alot better ! the prob with those skimmers imo is that the maxi-jet is just a bit small for it !! if ya notice when you crank open the venturi how much water flow you lose !! so by adding the air stone ya can close the venturi a bit and get more flow and alot better foaming action !!

Im using regular tap water. The tank is 6 months old and this started happening about 3 weeks ago. water is at 1.022 with no trace of ammonia or nitrite. I have 7 snails, a cleaner shrimp, 1 fox face fish and 2 green chromis fish. I also have live rock with what i think are called brown polyps growing on them. they are all doing great when I can see them. I dont really know what macro algea is

You are probably getting an algea bloom from the excess nutrients in the water, a PO4 reading and a nitrate reading like Atari asked for will tell us a lot.
RO water would help, I would bet the nutrients are being fed by the tap water.

So are you recommending I buy bottled water. Seems kind of expensive but if it will work I have no problem doing it. I have the ammonia and nitrite kit is there a phosphate kit?

You can get your own RO unit. There are some affordable ones on ebay, or check some the site sponsers web sites. In the long run you will save $$.
Yes there are PO4 test kits as well as nitrate.

I took your advise and now it looks to be working better. Im not sure what the cup is supposed to have but it is all highly green water. Is water supposed to be in there or foam? The tank is still green. I was thinking it might not be adjusted properly. Its been modified for about 2 weeks. I emptied the cup 3 times already but no chang in water clarity

foam/bubbles will rise up the skimmer tube and then basically they pop and turn into a dark nasty smelling water ! if ya did the mod ya can make it a wetter foam which i prefer myself ! wizzo where do ya live ?? im in joliet myself but would be willing to stop buy one day to see if i can help with any issues ya still having and or bring some test kits to test your water for you :)
the issue i see is the tap water are ya still using tap ??

Back
Top Bottom