Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

water turning cloudy green

First of all I just wanted to say Im new to this site. Im having a problem with my saltwater tank. the water is turnig cloudy green. My fish store that I go to recommended a proten skimmer which I buoght. Its been about 3 weeks now and is still green. I have been playing with the adjuster and one day it cleared up but then went back to green. I have a seaclone skimmer. Any advice would be good. Thanx

Old 06-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

WELCOME TO AA.COM
The choice of a Newbie
Generation

What kind of water are you using (tap or RO/DI)?

Old 06-24-2004, 03:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
what are your water parameters? Also , what is your stock and do you have any macro algea?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

little hint on your seaclone skimmer !! if you want to help it perform alot better drill a 3/16th hole into the lid and add a small wood air stone attached to some undergravel hard air tubing with a small air pump !! you can dial it in alot better ! the prob with those skimmers imo is that the maxi-jet is just a bit small for it !! if ya notice when you crank open the venturi how much water flow you lose !! so by adding the air stone ya can close the venturi a bit and get more flow and alot better foaming action !!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Im using regular tap water. The tank is 6 months old and this started happening about 3 weeks ago. water is at 1.022 with no trace of ammonia or nitrite. I have 7 snails, a cleaner shrimp, 1 fox face fish and 2 green chromis fish. I also have live rock with what i think are called brown polyps growing on them. they are all doing great when I can see them. I dont really know what macro algea is
Old 06-24-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Phosphate and Nitrate levels?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are probably getting an algea bloom from the excess nutrients in the water, a PO4 reading and a nitrate reading like Atari asked for will tell us a lot.
RO water would help, I would bet the nutrients are being fed by the tap water.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So are you recommending I buy bottled water. Seems kind of expensive but if it will work I have no problem doing it. I have the ammonia and nitrite kit is there a phosphate kit?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get your own RO unit. There are some affordable ones on ebay, or check some the site sponsers web sites. In the long run you will save $$.
Yes there are PO4 test kits as well as nitrate.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I took your advise and now it looks to be working better. Im not sure what the cup is supposed to have but it is all highly green water. Is water supposed to be in there or foam? The tank is still green. I was thinking it might not be adjusted properly. Its been modified for about 2 weeks. I emptied the cup 3 times already but no chang in water clarity

Tags
cloud, cloudy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com