Water water everywhere...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltysalt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I am just returning to the hobby (I have a history of NMA (nano marine addiction)) after receipt of a 125g aquarium. I was considering getting some great powerheads, a few heaters, step ladder and making a nice hot tub for myself to brave the looming upstate New York winter.......but have decided to take the hypothetical plunge, rather than the literal plunge feet first.

After an intense furniture relocation effort, I finaly have made room for the monster which is to be delivered tomorrow. Oddly enough, I have always drooled over large tanks, but been content with setting up biologicaly plausible mini reefs consisting of a few small but charming inhabitants. I find myself daunted by the task of figuring out what, other than myself of course, to put in this salty playground.

Substrate first: I have inherited 3 five gallon buckets filled with fine-coarse argonite sand (I am unsure of how live it might be at this point)

Building my reef base: I am seeking a low-cost base/rubble rock prefferably from a cultivated source. Marcorocks has been recommended to me. Does anyone have any insight on thier products or a suitable alternative?

The display portion of my reef: I am at a complete loss on this one. I love the idea of the synthetic coral inserts...less reef eating fish, lighting, current and feeding issues. They seem rather pricey and was wondering if anyone has any of these artificial beauties? I have heard they are porous and can grow coraline and sponges beautifully...

Fast forward.....(pretend the massive hardened salt-lick block of instant ocean has been mixed with RO, substrate, base and reef display are aquascaped and tank has been cycled..creepy crawly cleaning crew happily working away..and add an extra week or two for good measure)

Inhabitants: Having been confined to one or two nano-fish in the past, I am thinking that I would love a shoal. Threadfin cardinalfish and bluegreen chromis come to mind. My LFS guy actually snorted =( suggesting that it would be a real pity to fill my monster with "crappy" fish. I refrained from mentioning that a crappie is a freshwater game fish...sigh. Has anyone seen a school/shoal of these little guys? Are they as "blah" as this gentleman would have me to believe? Does anyone have any suggestions as to an interesting alternative?

I don't know anything about saltwater- so I can't be much of help here.
However, I can offer my opinion when I say that the Threadfin Cardinalfish are just a but plain looking to me. The Bluegreen Chromis are cute, though.
Haha sorry I couldn't help out much, but yeah I figured I could at least offer my opinion.
Good luck! Sounds like it will turn out cool.

no clue on the cardinals but ive seen plenty of chromis shoals, cool little guys that follow and mostly keep to themselves, great reef fish for sure!

btw, on this site, pics or its not happening =]

On the base try using some concrete It will eventually get some coraline on it and it is super cheap

I don't know anything about saltwater- so I can't be much of help here.
However, I can offer my opinion when I say that the Threadfin Cardinalfish are just a but plain looking to me. The Bluegreen Chromis are cute, though.
Haha sorry I couldn't help out much, but yeah I figured I could at least offer my opinion.
Good luck! Sounds like it will turn out cool.

Thanks, Amanda =) I think the Chromis are cuties too =)

I`m going to move this the the SW getting started forum. More people will see it there and more answers will be forth coming. Not everyone comes to the welcome wagon.

Back
Top Bottom