Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-05-2003, 10:16 PM   #11
I think the reason why we think watts per gallon is that it makes picking the right lights somewaht an easier chore. Most of the inhabitants excluding fish require light intensity and not so much watts per gallon though.

When using flourescent bulbs, the intensity is nowhere the same as MH because the MH gives off a better UV rating and lumen, CRI index which is most important to anemones, corals, and photosynthetic animals. This is why you can have 2 - 175 MH and have more usable light than 4 VHO's. The direct intensity of MH has been proven to out perform flourescents many times over, and it will continue to. There is no getting around that. The CRI index of MH is 94 - 96 which is as close to sunlight or correct light you can get right now. Flourescents are 10 below at 84 brand new and then in the 60's shortly thereafter. This is why watts per gallon is somewhat neccessary with Flour's...

For instance lets say 3 watts per gallon is ok:

4 - 40 watt tubes = 160 watts = roughly 3 watts per gallon on a 55 gal tank. but put that on a 75 gal tank and you have 2 watts per gal. go to an 80, and you have less than 2 watts per gal...nowhere near enough light to generate enough intensity.

4 - 110 watt VHO's = 440 watts = 8 watts per gallon on a 55. go to 75 gal tank and you have 5.8 watts per gal. go to an 80 gal tank, and you then have 5.5 watts per gallon and though this will give you good results, there is still a lot of lost intensity.

Now, go with

2 - 175 MH accented with 2 NO 40 watt actinics and you have 430 watts wich gives you 7.8 watts per gallon on a 55 and 5.7 watts per gallon on a 75 gal tank and 5.3 watts per gal on an 80 gal tank. This will be an excellent option on any tank and you can up the intesity and wattage by getting higher rated bulbs. e.g 250, 400 watt etc... This will up the watt per gallon and also up the intensity to a 94 to 96 CRI.

Watts per gallon is a matter of personal preference really and it is still debated if it holds any weight. I use it because I use flourescent bulbs. When I go to MH it won't matter much. I hope this is useful to anyone who is interested in the theory...

This is all on me and not the opinion of the masses...
Old 06-06-2003, 10:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by fishfreek
If you go with florecent lighting you would probably go with a couple VHO bulbs or a couple power compact bulbs.
Thanks, I understand what your talking about. I have 4-55 watt conacts from Custom Sea Life but I would like to get away with using just two. In order to use all 4 I have to replace one of my retrofit kits ($60 that I'd rather not spend), on the other hand I could take two out of the canopy & move the other working one in the middle of the open row & still use 3 of them. I'm really trying to save money on lighting (I do plan on splurdging for an Aqua C Remora)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Swishy-:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

watts, watts per gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com