watts per gallon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is a good general amount for WPG. I have a 75-gallon tank FOWLR and I am thinking about getting a torch coral and bubble coral or frogspawn coral. I will buy a retrofit fluorescent power compact, but I'm not sure how much I need. As far as my current bio load I have 1-blue hippo tang, 2-ocellaris clowns and 1-sgt. major damsel.
First I was thinking about getting an anemone but I am starting to think that a couple corals may be easier since they wont roam the aquarium.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

the minimum I believe for basic SPS corals is about 4wpg and The LPS corals is about 6wpg. More is better than not enough. I went with the cheaper power compact 4watts per gallon for my 46 gallon and now I wish I hadn't because it limited my options and the growth of my reef plans. I would definately re-consider the Metal halide as an option even though it hits hard in the wallet.

hmm I think that is backwards, I think the SPS will require more light then the LPS. For best results Halides are the way to go. I have a 72g bow with dual 175w Halides and 220w of VHO actinics.

Try not think in terms of "watts/gal". It is a poor tool for calculating the lighting needs for an aquarium. Instead, first put together a wish list of corals you intend to get now and in the future. Take into consideration tank size (depth) and build your system around that. In general, a tank with softies and LPS corals require less intense and wattage of lighting. CF, VHO or T5 are great options. If certain species of anemones, clams or SPS corals are in your futute, then look at more intense lighting like MH. ONce the type of light is determined, you can narrow down the specific wattage.

Agree that watts/gallon is not a perfect thing due to variations in tank dimensions. But for a "standard" size tank, the corals you listed (all LPS) will do fine with around 4 watts/gallon of Compact Floursecent lighting. As others have said, if you want at some point to go with SPS corals (acropora, etc) then you'll want metal halides and a higher light output. [Fijiwigi had it switched around.]

Thanks for all of the advice. I am thinking that the LPS corals is what I want. But then again when I first started I thought that FOWLR was all that I wanted. A clam would be nice somebody but I would probably have to go with the metal halide then. If I can be ok with 4 watt/gal. with CF and LPS corals, I think thats what I will do. thank you again

When I started I also only wanted FOWLR. I'm on my 3rd light fixture now (3x150MH) and wish I had gone one higher (3x250MH).

But my two clams are doing well. It's really only acro that's a problem now, and even that grows if placed high on the rock.

My only recomendation for a CF fixture is to research a lot of them before you buy. More expensive is not always better. Also you will want to change the bulbs every 6-8 months.

Ziggy953 said:
My only recomendation for a CF fixture is to research a lot of them before you buy. More expensive is not always better.

On the flip side of that though... while more $$ does not necessarily mean better quality, the cheaper units seem to be just that: cheap.

My tank is mostly soft and LPS corals. I had only about 3 wpg and had most of them I have recently added another set of VHO lighting which gives me a little more than 5 WPG and I do have a few SPS that are doing good. Check my tank out to see what type corals would do good in that light set up.

Yes they count too. I have two 160 watt 50/50 bulbs and 2 160 watt super actinic bulbs.

Please Help

I believe I found the fixture I want to go with. It will give me 440watts of VHO lighting. It is 2x 50/50 bulbs and 2x super actinic bulbs at 110watt each. The only bad part is there is only 1-switch so I can't create dusk/dawn. My plan is to use my current NO 40watt fixture to create this effect. This gives me 480watts at 6.4 watts per gallon for my 75gallon tank, which is only about 18" deep. Is this too much light for my fish, or do you think I will be ok? I have a hippo tang, 2-clowns, 5-green chromis, 2-cleaner shrimp. If I have to, I can go with a 3-lamp VHO giving me almost 5-watts per gallon, if that is better for my fish??? Thank You.

That's about the same wpg that I have. You should be fine with all but the most light demanding species.

I've photo acclimated my tank in the past for my corals when I changed fixtures. Your fish will get used to the lighting.

Back
Top Bottom