Wavemaker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two hydor koralia pumps for my 65 gal fowlr. Do I need to get a smartwave pump controller for them, or will the water movement be good enough with that? Thanks!

No, you don't need the wavemaker by any means. It is essentially just a fancy timer that can turn them on and off in sync with each other. It does help to make currents a little more random in the aquarium, but is by no means a necessity.

That's really up to you. Most wave makers come with a feeding function that cuts off your pumps for 5 to 10 minutes and higher end ones can be programmed to slow down the pulses at night. When I was using one, I only used the feeding function when I was doing a water change to keep the pumps from drawing air. You got to figure nature isn't likely to do any of that though.

I have my aquarium controller doing my wavemaker job but I have the powerheads go off at night, just to give the tank a break. :)

That's really up to you. Most wave makers have a feed function that pauses the pumps for 5 to 10 minutes and the higher end ones can be programmed to slow the pumps at night if you wish. I only ever used the feed function on mine during water changes when the water level was low.

Back
Top Bottom