wavemakers/powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rngrjt

Aquarium Advice Regular
how can you tell when you have enough watermovement in your tank? I am trying to start a reef tank and want to make sure i have what i need. How much movement do i need to cover most LPS or corals? I am going to be doing this is a 55 gal bow front tank. The measurements are 36 long 21 tall and 12 wide on the corners the middle is a bit wider due to the bow. So how many powerheads/wave makers would i need and what power? thanks in advance

I would aim for at least 15x your tank volume per hour for total flow. 20 would be even better. So for your case, something around 1000GPH would be ideal.

I answered another post on sump flow. So use this in your calculation, because the return line will help in main tank circulation. As far as powerheads, I have 2 in my 46 bow and have them on a wavemaker, but still get a couple of small spots I have to agitate by hand.
It depends on your aquascape.

MJ 1200's are good and farily cheap.

I've got 2 MJ1200s in my 36bow also. You should be fine with that. I got mine on either side and pointed at each other meeting in the middle.

I got mine on either side and pointed at each other meeting in the middle.

IS that the best way to get good tank flow? I would think you would end up havign the flows cancel each other out and then not get flow aroudn the fron and back sides of the tank????

Both crash into each other and go thru the middle and other areas. They definitely don't "cancel" each other. They're easy enuf to place there and try out.

Pointing your power heads at each other gives you the best random current action IME. Kind of like having a cheap wave maker as far as getting good convulsing currents going, otherwise you just have a steady circular stream which can lead to dead spots within the tank.

ok i looked on DR. fosters for MJ 1200 as well as googled it and only found that for a protein skimmer. Can you send me a link to it.

also i am running my sump with a CAP -2200 aqua pump/power head. the box states that at 0 feet of head it gets 800 gph and drops to 8 feet 150 gph. Not sure what my head is not sure how to figure that out... been a long time ... since my FOWLR tank since i had to deal with that. is this enough turn over... one of you stated turning the tank 15 times would be great... is that true.. the lfs in florida told me 4 times is good... i think that is what he said..
also would that water movement if it was good eliminate the need for 2 MJ 1200's ?
thanks guys

4 times is not enough. If you are going for a reef tank, 15 times is ideal.

As far as eliminating the MJ's, they are what will help you get to 15x. The MJ's and your return plumbing will give you your target flowrate.

Back
Top Bottom