We Have Lift Of !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well today I went and purchased the equipment etc ... and have set the tank up. Before I set the tank up I emptyed it (fully) and cleaned it out and cleaned the filter and replaced the sponge. Then the sand (Coral Sand) was added and 4 pounds of base rock (to become live rock) I have recently added the salt but have not yet tested the specific gravity.

Here are some images ......

Tank Description (ATM)

Size: 10 gals
Temp: 79 Degrees
Sand: 10 pounds of coral sand (will become live sand?)
Filtration: Currently 4 pounds of base rock. (When can I add live rock?)
Extra: Internal Box filter (Containing a sponge and carbon) Main use is to act as a power-head for the live rock.
Specific Gravity: Unknown at the moment. (When to test it?)

I do not have any information regarding water chemistry yet however today I purchased a Nitrite test kit and a PH test kit.

Do I need more test kits?

Update - Specific gravity is now at 1.025 as suggested. At first it was 1.028 so I took some water out and addd some more.

Update - P.H. tested and is 8.3

Is that right ?

You need to stat your cycle now that you have the temp and SG set right. Here are some water parameters you should shoot for after cycling.

pH 8.0 - 8.3
SG 1.022 - 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 -20 ppm for FOWLR or near 0 for reef
Alk 1.5 - 3 meq/L (NSW) or 7 - 12 dKH or 125 - 200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents
Calcium: (Ca) 380 – 450 ppm calcium ion or 950 - 1125 ppm CaCO3 equivalents
Mg 1000-1500 (3x the Ca level)

You can add LR now and let cycle your tank, or add LR and throw in a shrimp.

Do I have to add live rock now or can I wait till after cycle. Bur still use the shrimp during cycle?

If you dont mind me asking how do I know cycling is taking place lol, and roughly how long will it take and when do I know it is done?

You should also purchase an ammonia test kit and a nitrate test kit. You'll know the tank is cycling when your ammonia levels rise...then your nitrites will rise, and then your nitrates will rise...and then they will go down...when your ammonia is at 0, and your nitrites are at 0, and your nitrates are at 0 or almost...your tank is done cycling. I just want to be sure on this...when we say use a shrimp for cycling, we mean the kind you buy at the grocery store, not a live shrimp. It is best to add the live rock now because putting it in after the cycle, may cause your tank to go through another cycle, prolonging your total cycling time.

Ok, so live rock to be added a.s.a.p (will I be able to add it in two weeks because my only lfs that sells s/w is getting many shipments in in the next couple of weeks which means that there could be fresh live rock lol :). And I was aware of the shrimp thing, I useually use a prawn or beef heart for my tropical tanks. Can I just use a prawn for my s/w tank ?

I forgot to ask are there any visible signs of cycling taking place. ?
And when will my base rock start to develop a cover of algea etc... ?

Back
Top Bottom