Weaning a Lion to eat Dead Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bassoonguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am so excited! After a month of cycling.. I just got my first saltwater fish in almost 10 years!! :) YAYYY! He's a beauty of a volitans lion.. I've included a pic I took last night.. he's about 4 inches long. At the moment, he's (very enthusiastically) eating *small* FW minnows. Of course I know this isn't ideal.. and would like to wean him to silversides ASAP.. how exactly to do this? The lion I had 10 years ago came from the store already weaned to dead food.. so this is new territory for me! Also.. my second fish is probably going to be a Minatus Grouper.. how to independently feed these two??

lion

Not sure about the independent feeding. I would try, if the lion wouldn't take the dead food after a few days, offering it with a feeding stick and wiggling it around some to make it appear live. Maybe, after he discovers that he likes it, he'll be more willing to take it. Best I can come up with. Definitely don't want to stick with the minnows any longer than absolutely necessary though.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom