Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

There are reports of people getting TB. Extremely rare but it has happened

Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I usually don't wear gloves unless I go near my female clowns territory. She will bite me. She doesn't break skin but it startles me. So I wear those gloves in the link above. I also have had minor skin irritation from my frogspawn coral

Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1989
There are reports of people getting TB. Extremely rare but it has happened
How does that work? TB is airborne, not fish borne.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Your foxface could only be a problem if you try to grab him. Even, and especially if netting him. Do not attempt to hold him. He is no threat to you in the tank unless you corner it IMO.

If one is prone to picking or biting off hang nails, or anything that results in even the smallest abrasions or tiny cuts in the skin, I'd suggest a habit of wearing gloves virtually all the time. I've done pleny of work in my tank with bare hands. Just gotta be aware of the skin or nail conditions you're dealing with at the time.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wear gloves when handling my zoas/palys because of the toxin they release. other than that clean non soaped hands in the tank no problem.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Your foxface could only be a problem if you try to grab him. Even, and especially if netting him. Do not attempt to hold him. He is no threat to you in the tank unless you corner it IMO.

If one is prone to picking or biting off hang nails, or anything that results in even the smallest abrasions or tiny cuts in the skin, I'd suggest a habit of wearing gloves virtually all the time. I've done pleny of work in my tank with bare hands. Just gotta be aware of the skin or nail conditions you're dealing with at the time.
Thxs I'll see about purchaseing a pair of gloves just in case but I'm not going to really worry about hopefully
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post

ok well i know this thread is for saltwater but should you also wear gloves for fresh????
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohika View Post
How does that work? TB is airborne, not fish borne.
By no means I did not say it was possible or impossible just said I read reports of it, lol.

Can Fish TB affect humans?

Most of the info you will find on the www seems to indicate that fish TB can infect humans. However - most of this info refers to the marine disease, caused by Myobacterium marinum.

FlippersandFins.net Fish Tank Granuloma
Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I've thought about getting a pair for working in my puffer tank. If I'm just reaching in to rearrange something and I don't have a big scary gravel vac in my hands, they think my fingers look tasty and have given me a few nips. Seeing as they have teeth built for busting open snails and mollusks, it hurts!

Tags
clean, cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com