wearing gloves when cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I heard from my friend that his cousin was cleaning his tank his finger got infected to the point wear they had to cut his arm off:$ so I was wondering what gloves are reef safe?

got cut how?there are some poisonous fish that can shoot a toxin into you. if it was that badly infected it was because he never treated it and cleaned the wound so its his own fault, but my bet is your friend was talking crap

Ya that what I was thinking the only thing that worried me is I have a foxface should I wear gloves or will be fine?

You don't need gloves...just stick your hand in there the worst that could happen is you will need to put some anti bacterial cream and a bandaid on a sting. Most things will leave you alone and remember most animals are more afraid of you then you are of them. Just be gental when you are in the tank to keep your fish calm and you shouldn't have any problems. Yur arm won't need to be cut off because of anything in a typical saltwater tank.

CleverBs said:
You don't need gloves...just stick your hand in there the worst that could happen is you will need to put some anti bacterial cream and a bandaid on a sting. Most things will leave you alone and remember most animals are more afraid of you then you are of them. Just be gental when you are in the tank to keep your fish calm and you shouldn't have any problems. Yur arm won't need to be cut off because of anything in a typical saltwater tank.

Ok thxs I guess I shoudnt be so gullible when hear those things;)

I have to admit I do wear gloves. Not because I'm afraid of getting an infection, but if I touch something of a certain consistency I'll squeal and drop whatever is in my hand.... including rocks, which would be detrimental to my tank.

That being said, your buddy's story seems ridiculous. If they had to cut off somebody's arm, the thing would have to turn necrotic first which takes time, would be painful as ****, and most normal people would go to the ER before it got to that stage.

As the old saying goes, pics or it didn't happen. I could say I had a fish bite my finger and my toe fell off because of it... I bet someone would believe it. haha

I am a safety freak, so when i first got a tank i thought about this.

But then i realized that even if my fish bit me, the little bite isn't going to breach my skin... so, there would be no chance of infection.
So unless you have some huge and vicious fish in your tank (which you probably don't...who would own anything like that in the first place), you are fine.

There are reports of people getting TB. Extremely rare but it has happened

I usually don't wear gloves unless I go near my female clowns territory. She will bite me. She doesn't break skin but it startles me. So I wear those gloves in the link above. I also have had minor skin irritation from my frogspawn coral

Your foxface could only be a problem if you try to grab him. Even, and especially if netting him. Do not attempt to hold him. He is no threat to you in the tank unless you corner it IMO.

If one is prone to picking or biting off hang nails, or anything that results in even the smallest abrasions or tiny cuts in the skin, I'd suggest a habit of wearing gloves virtually all the time. I've done pleny of work in my tank with bare hands. Just gotta be aware of the skin or nail conditions you're dealing with at the time.

I wear gloves when handling my zoas/palys because of the toxin they release. other than that clean non soaped hands in the tank no problem.

austinsdad said:
Your foxface could only be a problem if you try to grab him. Even, and especially if netting him. Do not attempt to hold him. He is no threat to you in the tank unless you corner it IMO.

If one is prone to picking or biting off hang nails, or anything that results in even the smallest abrasions or tiny cuts in the skin, I'd suggest a habit of wearing gloves virtually all the time. I've done pleny of work in my tank with bare hands. Just gotta be aware of the skin or nail conditions you're dealing with at the time.

Thxs I'll see about purchaseing a pair of gloves just in case but I'm not going to really worry about hopefully;)

ok well i know this thread is for saltwater but should you also wear gloves for fresh????

How does that work? TB is airborne, not fish borne.

By no means I did not say it was possible or impossible just said I read reports of it, lol.

Can Fish TB affect humans?

Most of the info you will find on the www seems to indicate that fish TB can infect humans. However - most of this info refers to the marine disease, caused by Myobacterium marinum.

FlippersandFins.net Fish Tank Granuloma

I've thought about getting a pair for working in my puffer tank. If I'm just reaching in to rearrange something and I don't have a big scary gravel vac in my hands, they think my fingers look tasty and have given me a few nips. Seeing as they have teeth built for busting open snails and mollusks, it hurts!

Back
Top Bottom