Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Weight of Aquarium Safe for 2nd Floor

Hi everyone!

I'm wanting to ensure the safety of setting up a 60 gallon aquarium on my 2nd floor (which is my main floor, living room kitchen, bathroom)

Does anyone have experience or knowledge in knowing if my floor will be able to support my aquarium safely? I'm roughly estimating that it will be about 720lbs with water, rocks, sand, and weight of tank & stand.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooling1981 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm wanting to ensure the safety of setting up a 60 gallon aquarium on my 2nd floor (which is my main floor, living room kitchen, bathroom)

Does anyone have experience or knowledge in knowing if my floor will be able to support my aquarium safely? I'm roughly estimating that it will be about 720lbs with water, rocks, sand, and weight of tank & stand.

Thanks!

you should be fine as your tank will be spread over several floor joists
I keep a 90 , 40 , 37 , 30 , 20 , between the weight of the tanks water sand and rock I have 2536lbs spread over 8ft of floor . a average floor in a home is rated for 6000lbs per square foot per code
you have nothing to worry about you have less than half of what I have
now if your home is built before 1970 that's another ball game

Old 09-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
Fel
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
you should be fine as your tank will be spread over several floor joists
I keep a 90 , 40 , 37 , 30 , 20 , between the weight of the tanks water sand and rock I have 2536lbs spread over 8ft of floor . a average floor in a home is rated for 6000lbs per square foot per code
you have nothing to worry about you have less than half of what I have
now if your home is built before 1970 that's another ball game
This. In addition if you wanted to be 100% sure you could always look up the permits and such for your home and what the code was. But bottom line is as long as the floor is to code and you ate just doing a standard tank (not something that is like 900 gallons) you should be fine.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Tags
aquarium, aquarium safe, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com