Weight on 2nd floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gmen226

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this hobby and was wondering if a 57 rimless tank with 20 gallon sump be 2 heavy for 2nd floor thanks

not even close.

its probably weighs about 750 pounds. a full washing machine probably weighs more or a fridge. its always a good thing though to place it across the floor joists and close to a load bearing beam

I have a 75g on the 2nd floor with no problems. I have two actually but not next to eachother on the same wall of course.

Nice. I wanted to get a 125g but was starting to wonder. A few people told me that wouldn't go past that so I stuck with 75g. I'm happy with it though, but a 125g would allow me to get the tang I want.

remember people put water beds on their second floors. water beds prob hold about 200 gallons of water weighing in at around 2000 pounds

It never hurts to double check, but the majority of second story floors are plenty strong. One thing you should do though, if possible, is run the length of the tank across multiple joists rather than going along a single joist. And close to a load bearing wall is always a good idea too.

Gti_Leo said:
remember people put water beds on their second floors. water beds prob hold about 200 gallons of water weighing in at around 2000 pounds

A water bed has a much larger footprint than a tank does, spreading the weight over a much larger area and more beams. This creates less stress on the beams that support it. I agree that the tank will be fine on the 2nd floor, but the water bed comparison is a common misunderstanding.

My 55 full of LR is on the second story and it's fine, and just has others have said I seen bigger than that on a second story. I work at a different apartment complex and a guy who just moved in has his 125 on the second, and where he has it there is nothing below it. The second story over extends beyond the first story and that's where he has it and it's fine.

A water bed has a much larger footprint than a tank does, spreading the weight over a much larger area and more beams. This creates less stress on the beams that support it. I agree that the tank will be fine on the 2nd floor, but the water bed comparison is a common misunderstanding.

not totally it doesn't a 6 foot aquarium sits across the same amont of floor joists, the water bed has a bigger footprint sure but it also dispurses its loads across the same joists as the narrower tank, sure its may seem like is is being dispursed but the joists are still holing the same weight as well as the bearing walls. with a fish tank it can be placed closer to that wall making less flex in the floor then a wider water bed

Back
Top Bottom