weird cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 46 gal has been up since before the holidays with 5lbs of lr and 5 lbs of ls from the lfs. Then about a week ago I added 45lbs of lr from liveaquaria.com, becasue it was cheap. There is dieoff still on the newer rocks that I can see however I have yet to see any ammonia spike or nitrites. both tests continue to come up zero every day i do them. I have been running my skimmer and filter with AC the entire time, no lights, and no water changes. IMO I dont think it could be done cycleing, should I try adding a shrimp to get the spike or what?

Let me know what you think I should do.

You might want to bring a sample to the LFS for testing. If the original LR and LS had already built up the proper bacteria it may have been a quick cycle to get the bacteria caught up.

I wouldnt think 5 pounds of live rock could cycle 45 pounds of new rock. I would just let it be a while and it will more than likely take care of itself, but I guess stranger things have happened. If no changes soon I would go ahead with the shrimp to jump start it.

Just be patient and wait on the Shrimp. If you want to try anything first, go with a couple Hermit and a Couple snails and see if they die. Waiting longer never hurts, and will only help the tank get established more before you introduce life.

The 5 pounds would have the proper bacteria and there may not be much die off on the new 45 lbs. I know several that have had only minor spikes with new rock. It wont take much to keep up with the new rock if die off is minor.

I'd wait. I had almost no ammonia spike after adding 30lbs from lr.com.

Patience, patience,patience. That's my new mantra! 8)

Well I went to the lfs and had my water tested, for $3 never heard of a place charging before, everything was at zero. The guy said I should add a fish and see what happens but i wanted to wait longer. So i picked up some hermits and a few turbo snails now I'm going to wait longer. Plus i plan on driving up to liverocks.com this weekend to pick another 20-25lbs of liverock.

Yeah, I just wish I found them sooner before I ordered from liveaquaria.com. their rock looks way better than any of the stuff I got from LA.com and the hitch hikers should be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom