Weird white crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a really weird white looking crust appearing on my live rock. Is this white coralline algae?

Can you get a pic? Sounds like it could be an encrusting sponge, it is growing on the top or bottom? It's hard to guess with no pic.

Getting a pic will be difficult as the only camera i have is a very poor camera phone. It is a very hard material and it is growing on top of the rock. On another piece of rock a similar one is growing except this one is white with a pink hue.

roka64 said:
Can you get a pic? Sounds like it could be an encrusting sponge, it is growing on the top or bottom? It's hard to guess with no pic.

how long has your tank been up?

I started curing live rock for about a week now. I only noticed it since the nitrites in the tank started to come down and the water cleared up.

Ok..I'm going to say it is what was coraline algae. When it is exposed to air for a period of time it dies and bleaches or turns white. Given time and the right lighting it will grow back.

Ziggy953 said:
Ok..I'm going to say it is what was coraline algae. When it is exposed to air for a period of time it dies and bleaches or turns white. Given time and the right lighting it will grow back.
Good point, was the rock colorful before, or are you using base rock?

It was live rock which was an ugly greyish color. (edit)It had an awful smell too.

Does it blow off? If not I'd agree, it sounds like bleached/dead coralline algae. Usually it will come back after cycling, w/ proper care and light. It tends to grow back/cover areas of rock that were once already covered, and other relatively smooth surfaces, fastest.

I thought it would come off but when i touched it , it was a smooth material.

With proper lighting can i restart it? Cause although its dead it seems to be spreading?

MT79 said:
Usually it will come back after cycling, w/ proper care and light. It tends to grow back/cover areas of rock that were once already covered, and other relatively smooth surfaces, fastest
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom