Welcome Aquarium Advice!! -- Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christy1430

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!!! :D For the past year I've had a 29 gallon tank with a skilter filter 450. I am looking into buying a 10 gallon tank. I am confused as to what filter to purchase.. does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!!
-- Christy <3

Welcome!

If you use enough LR and stay up on your weekly water changes, no filter or skimmer is necessary. Or I think you can use a regular HOB filter and replace all the media with LR rubble.

Thank you. Actually I just purchased the 12 gallon JBJ nano cube. Any reviews on this item?

Thank You
-Christy

I have the 12 gallong nanocube DX and i like it i just removed the ceramic bio rings and the bio balls and the sponges and put some live rock rubble in the back. my only complaint is that the led moonlights on mine quit working the first week i had it.

Bioballs and media can harbor nitrates, creating high nitrates which can trigger algae and harm fish. The LR Rubble tends to do this less and have denitrifying qualities

Thankyou...now my next question is -- Do I replace the bio balls with the LR before I start the cycle or after I finish the cycle... and would it be ok if I were to swtich them throughout the cycle. I should be receiving the tank on friday and will start a new topic showing the progress of the tank. Last question. I was wondering if it is possible to put a heater in the jbj nano cube with the top would that not be a problem?

Thank You

I would use base rock, in your filter, or, if you get enough cured LR (1.5-2Lbs per gallon) from your LFS, you might get a small or no cycle at all.
I'm not sure about the heater.

Wait you confused me?... if I put all cured LR my tank may not go throught a cycle? I have never heard of that. Thanks for the new information. If that's the case I will stell let it sit for about 3 weeks with PWC and testing it and post up the results.

The LR will have nitrifying bacteria on it when you get it. It just might have enough to eliminate a cycle all together.
Why not try adding an ammonia source (i.e. raw shrimp) and see if you get a cycle? Then you'd have confirmation and you wouldn't need to wait if you are in fact already cycled.

I think you may be able to place a subsersible heater inside the filter. You'd just have a cord running out the back. I actually considered a nano cube but I was concerned about this sort of thing too.

NOTE: Live rock, whether cured at the LFS or ordered online or uncured, will re-cure when you put it in your tank. The LR will have nitrifying bacteria on it as long as it stays wet, but sponges and other lifeforms on the rock will die during transport. Exposure to air kills sponges instantly, and they decay in your tank, producing ammonia and nitrogen byproducts.

The liverock will help yoru tank cycle, but you will still have a waiting period while it cures or re-cures. You will have to test your levels during this time....it will just take less time than if you had only dry base rock. Good idea to put in a dead shrimp during curing anyway, to make sure your rock is doing it's job.

And you can put a submersable heater in the JBJ cube sump (the back area).

thank you so much!!....

let me tell you what i will do Friday when i receive the tank...

friday i will set up the tank, with 10-15 lbs live sand, and water. Saturday i may buy some live rock and keep adding live rock over the next 2 weeks.
I will drop a shrimp in sat morning. Can this be brined shrimp or does it have to be the normal shrimp?

i will set up a new post friday with pictures and all

Sounds like a good plan

just a raw, unseasoned shrimp from your grocery store seafood counter.

Make sure your cycle is totally complete before adding livestock and all will be well. By adding rock slowly, you may slow down your cycle. If you can afford to add it all at once, or half one week half the next, that is what i suggest

ok thank you that is what i shall do then. half and half.
what kind of livestock should i be looking at for this nano
percula... what else

Ookk thank you that hellped. Now that I got all that our of the way what type of live stock should I look into for my nano

One thing I would suggest for you starting your tank up is to mix your SW up and let it run in your tank for at least 24 hours before you put any LS or LR. Make sure that your SW is between 1.021-1.025.

No no, I am not mixing my water. I buy my water at the LFS. I've been buying it from the same place.

Back
Top Bottom