welcome opinions for brand new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potionmaker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I would like to think y'all in advance for your help. I have an empty 55 gal tank in which I would like to start a salt water reef and fish system. I have been looking and asking questions regarding what equipment I will need. I would love to hear comments and suggestions from the forum. I think I understand the concept of cycling (i have read many articles on the internet) but I have yet to buy the first piece of equipment (filters, sumps??, rock, etc.) It would be greatly appreciated if anyone at all could help. Thanks again for your time.

By the way, this is my first post and I appologize if some of the lingo used was wrong. I'll try to catch on soon.

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Are you wanting a reef tank, fish only tank or a fowlr?

Reefrunner,
Sorry for being so vague. I guess the easiest way to put it is...Im not sure. I would definitely like to have fish, but I would also like to have perhaps shrimp, crabs, anemones, and the like. Is this possible to combine all of these in one tank?

First of all yes it is possible to put all of those in one tank, and I would say most do ('cept for the anenome which is tricky in a new tank). From the sounds of it you are looking at a Fish Only (FO) or Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) tank. But if you are looking to make it a reef tank (corals etc.) the eqipment will be more complex and different. I think that the best way to have a successful tank is to plan things through fully before you get half way in.

Good luck, and if you decide what type of setup you want there would be more help that the forum could give you.

Oh yah, welcome!

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good site which shows pictures of the different kinds of SW tanks? I think I'm so new at this that I'm not sure what grows on live rock or what the corals consist of. Do Pollops grow on live rock or coral? If I decide on a FOWLR, would someone have time to recommend equipment that needs to be purchased for a 55 gal tank? (opinions on brands and sizes would also be appreciated) I have read many of the posts here and have seen alot of recommendations for other tank sizes, but Im not sure that these would be adequate for a 55 gal. Thank you so much for y'all help.

I quess you can see im no expert but I like to help I got took to the cleaners on about everything except my tank which is and instant ocean complete set up 55 gal

I got robbed by some kid a petco, with a damsel die off method of cycling, Talked into live sand at lfs, told just use tap water and declorinate, list goes on and on.

I now spend hours reading about almost every post here. Save some money get a lunch and get reading before you buy anything.

i killed more fish in the first 2 months than I could count, Now after nearly 1000 dollars I got a damsel, and a goby and thats just cause they are tough.
Here is the $ savers i have found

1 no need for live sand, all sand become alive if it is right kind by cycling.
2 YOU can use play sand test with vinager, silica doesnt fizz qood stuff does.
3 with patients you can cycle a just fish with dead shrimp.
4 LR is better cause it kinda helps take care of itself
5 You can use base rock with a little LR and just wait for it to spread
6 save all the money you can to get extra stuff like sum or refug protein skimmers
coolers , power heads and slowly move on to a better and better tank
7 Check ebay. and get a note book to write good facts from this site. never take advice from just one LFS
8 Shop, shop, shop
9 I think everyone here agrees QT is a absolute must,
10 never treat ich in main tank (thanks again petco people who love their pets this much dont kill them)

f-dean, grow up and stop bashing petco- its as much your fault as theirs for not doing your research properly.

potionmaker said:
I'm not sure what grows on live rock or what the corals consist of. Do Pollops grow on live rock or coral?

so basically coralline algae, macro algae ("saltwater plants"), sometimes featherdusters, clams, and other sessile lifeforms can all be found growing on premium liverock. i would suggest tampa bay saltwater or liverocks.com, both are excellent.

now corals consist of polyps, that is what makes them up. there are hard corals (like the skeletons you see in stores), as well as soft corals. soft corals, such as shrooms, are large polyp corals, where as stony corals have very small polyps and a larger calcium structure. high levels of calcium are nessecary for coral growth.

some dealers offer packages of LR that come with coral growth on them already, or you can buy corals seperatly. but definitly dont go for corals until your tank is welll established, or theyll just die.

another suggestion-buy majority base rock (which is cheaper and has less growth on it than regular LR) and the the rest high quality LR. in time, this will seed the base rock.

dont expect to add fish for a while, let your tank cycle properly. then add a "cleanup crew", which should consist of snails (nassisarus are good, stay away from turbo snails), hermit crabs (queen/fighting conch, scarlet), perhaps some shrimp (im fond of peppermint, personally), and maybe a sea cucumber, since he will aid in sand stirring. most dealers have packages you can buy custom built to your tank size, with the right amount of critters.

definitly buy a book, thats the best advice i can give you. the concesious marine aquarist by Rob Fenner is an excellent choice.
HTH

wy not turbos

I wont waste time with the grow up post you prob work for petco for living but anyway why not turbos other than they dond last in feef temps mine seem to clean everything in sight. Do they hurt corals or coraline algee

Re: wy not turbos

f-dean said:
why not turbos other than they dond last in feef temps mine seem to clean everything in sight. Do they hurt corals or coraline algee

turbos are notorius for falling over and being unable to right themselves, so if it falls in a spot you cant get to, your left with a rotting little snail in your tank. nassisarus can right themselves far more easily, and IMO are more active.

Re: wy not turbos

nodoubt471 said:
turbos are notorius for falling over and being unable to right themselves, so if it falls in a spot you cant get to, your left with a rotting little snail in your tank.
Depends on the species actually. Most Turban spp. snails can right themselves just fine. The main one that cannot is an Astraea.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom