Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, Got Ich Again......Sigh

Well got ich in the main again. Guess it could have been from the new lr or anything i guess. I qt, but must not have got it good. So back to the qt tonight. The reef will be taken down to get the fish out. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Awww crud. I feel for you.
Mine are just now going back in the main after a loooong treatment.
I would guess the rock or maybe corals that you added.
I'm very serious about this. I will not add a fish, snail, rock or grain of sand without using qt ever again. Not worth the work.
Try hypo this time. After using both copper and hypo, it seems to be easier on the fish and very effective.
Sorry buddy.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Rev, how's that new tang you recently got from liveaquaria? Is he in this awful mix too?

Q-shark - new rocks and coral can carry ich? Now I'm concerned. At at the stage now where I'm pretty well stocked with fish and adding rock and corals (attached to new rocks) evry couple of weeks.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Qshark thanks. How do you qt inverts and rock and thing qshark? How would you know they have ich or not, and how would you treat? Are you just going to use the hospilanity method from the get go to make sure? Ma, I got to do something too, this is killing me and driving my wife away from the hobby. We are almost convinced to give the fish away, and just have a invert, reef tank. I dont know if I can do that though. I cant qt corals, becuase they need the light. Man what to do for the future.........
Old 10-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Q-shark - new rocks and coral can carry ich? Now I'm concerned. At at the stage now where I'm pretty well stocked with fish and adding rock and corals (attached to new rocks) evry couple of weeks.
Well I purchased some LS on ebay and a month later I had ich in the tank. Its the only thing that could have brought it in. I had, 3 months before that treated all my fish for velvet. I know they were clean after a 8 week treatment and 3 months in the main
. When adding anything in the future, my plan is to place it in (rock for example) my 40 gallon qt tank for a month or so. This way any parasite that may come in will die off.
Rev, no need to treat snails or corals, just the isolation time would be enough to kill off the parasites without any hosts.
I know its somewhat remote to bring ich in this way, but it happened to me and its looks like it happened to Rev, so why take the chance. Only takes 1 tomont coming from another system or the ocean to infect a system. My theory anyway.
Rev, I understand. My wife pretty much hates the tank now.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I may be wrong, but I think that while live rock, corals, and substrates are not hosts, they can be carriers. During the life cycle of ick, ick cysts develop and fall off of the host (fish). These cysts go thru a dormant period until another host is found. If a host is found they can reproduce and infect that new host. If no host is found within a timely manner the cysts will eventually die. I think that the cysts can be carried from one tank to another on live rock, corals, and substrates. That is why the tank must go thru the fallow period. I kind of think of it as little ticking Ick time-bombs with expiration dates.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well from now on I will only buy coral from a coral only tank, no fish. I will also qt the LR as well.

I just finished tearing my whole reef, and 155pds of LR down to get all the fish out. I virtually had to take out all the lr, because I have an engineer goby in there. The enigineer goby will be headed back to the lfs after qt.

Got the aquascape set back up, but I really dont like it to well. I'll rest and maybe tomorrow I will adjust them more. Looks like all the coral did good, and the fish seem to be fine as well.

I am very tired now. Glad it is over with. Only 6 weeks left, and I can put my fishy back. Oh Joy. :|

Old 10-22-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel your pain. I NEVER want to go through that again.
Get some rest. :|
Old 10-23-2004, 09:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Try hypo this time. After using both copper and hypo, it seems to be easier on the fish and very effective.
Agree! This is due to no copper hurting the fish's immune system + no ammonia - hypo allows a bio-filter to pretty much stay in tact...you can even throw a few hunks of lr in there! I am going to start demanding inverts from systems without fish. This is tough as some places use one large system for all tanks. Hope all goes well for you...
Old 10-24-2004, 02:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, you know, I just got a new coral that came out of a tank that had fish in it. You would think after my expeirence with brooklynella I would know better. I think I need to be more careful in the future, I am sorry Rev, I feel your pain.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com