Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Well here is the new tank setup...kinda bummed though..

Well i got it setup today. Im kinda bummed though. I wanted no power heads in the tank but it seems the one 1'' bulkhead wont be enough to even run the small mag 3 pump (it gurgles when the pipes are wide open, I had to restrict the flow to quite it down). There will be more rock on the far side of the pic. Its just in the other 10gallon tank while this tank gets all the levels right. Sorry I could not get a full tank shot. The 10gallon is literally right infront of it (the big black stuff you see in the tank shot).

The bottom tank will eventually be a fuge. Im trying to get this other stuff figured out right now as this is my first ever attempts at connecting two tanks.

In the sump since making the pipe drain into the water (pipe in the water) it kept the water backing up with pressure and causing more gurgling. I drilled out the top of the pipe so it could flow out when this occurs. The whole setup is pretty quite now.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 1" bulkhead on my frag tank it it runs a Mag7 slightly turned back. You should be able to run a 3 or 5 wide open.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could always do a closed loop.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I have a 1" bulkhead on my frag tank it it runs a Mag7 slightly turned back. You should be able to run a 3 or 5 wide open.
is the gurgling loud on that tank? How do you have it setup if its quite? Right now the tank is super quite I only hear a little sound and its actaully peacfull.

Benden how exactly do you do a closed loop setup? Do you mean just have the mag take water right out of the main tank and put it right back in? I was really wanting to increase the watervolume and have a fuge on this tank. Im windering why my 1'' is so loud when others have used bigger pumps for it :-\
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

you have 1 bulkhead in the upper right corner? If so if you get a plastic filter cover you can turn them to an angle and this helps a lot with the gurgling. I have them on both my tanks and they work well. I also have a 12=14" piece of airline hose down the overflow pipes with the end sticking out the top. This helps with air in and out for the overflow.

let me know if you need a pic of my overflows.. You may be able to see them in my gallery...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
you have 1 bulkhead in the upper right corner? If so if you get a plastic filter cover you can turn them to an angle and this helps a lot with the gurgling. I have them on both my tanks and they work well. I also have a 12=14" piece of airline hose down the overflow pipes with the end sticking out the top. This helps with air in and out for the overflow.

let me know if you need a pic of my overflows.. You may be able to see them in my gallery...

If you could post a close up. Where did you get the filter cover at? I was looking at the ones that are used on the maxijets and they are too small.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Does your tank gurgle? The pipe can handle the flow but just not quitly lol. How do you have yours setup?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have fixed the problem, pics soon

http://home.insightbb.com/~civicman86/FishSig.jpg
Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't really think it is loud but it is in my basement. I buy my bulkheads from Greentree Pet center and they come with the stariner. You can add add a 90 deg pvc fitting to allow you to turn the strainer.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I figure if the pipe is facing up im getting some surface skimming anyways. I just need to find something to keep the snails and such out of it

http://home.insightbb.com/~civicman86/FishSig.jpg
Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new tank setup, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com