Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
I lived in brigantine in the early 90's. There was Arnolds on tilton rd, (near acrat)Where I bought my first setup. And a place on 40 in Pleasntville (I think) that only sold fish. I loved the place on 40.
Read thru the articles, and be ready to do frequent water changes.
Good luck
The place on 40 is where I went... it is really nice looking but the guy just didn't seem to want to help much.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was looking into the rock thing. Is there a write up on how to clean or prepare the rock? Do I want to subject any inverts that may come with this to the high ammonia levels? Won't they just die and make things worse?

Old 08-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

At this point in time I think the best thing to do is remove all livestock and start over. I would stop waisting money on chemicals and additives, let the tank cycle naturally and properly. It does not seem like you have a lot invested in livestock right now so that is a good thing. Start over, start slow. Remember that when you add a fish you increase the bio-load of the tank and the bio filtration needs time to catch up. In a new tank introudce one fish, then wait a few weeks before adding another. Too many too fast will casue you big headaches (as you are finding out). Keep us posted and good luck...Lando
Old 08-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just my opinion from my own experience and others that I know, but I highly recommend NOT buying fish from Petco. They are well known around here for having bad problems with ich and consequently they keep copious quantities of copper products in their tanks to help control it. Just a thought.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
the petco where i live must be different, because some of my most long lived and beautiful and health fish have come from petco. in fact, i accredit the infestation of my tank with marine velvet to a specialty marine store (i learned about the value of QT fast on that one!). just make sure you know what your looking for in a fish, no matter where you buy it...

i agree that returning the fish would be the best idea for everybody. the petco probably wont be able to take them back, but maybe the other fish store you spoke of could.

also definitly go with the liverock, if you get liverock from most places you have to let it cycle but that doesnt seem to be an issue with LR from liverocks.com

i agree with lando, the fewer chemicals you add to your tank the better. natural is the best way.

good luck, keep us posted!
Old 08-21-2004, 12:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725
I was looking into the rock thing. Is there a write up on how to clean or prepare the rock? Do I want to subject any inverts that may come with this to the high ammonia levels? Won't they just die and make things worse?
The invert that live through the shipping will do fine. You ammonia level should level off soon after adding the rock. Of course you will continue the water changes until it levels off on its own.
I know the best thing for Matt would be to start over, but his fish are already stressed and moving them might make matters worse.
If you keep changing the water and get the rock, this may work out for you.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com