Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Canopy Look Good???
Yes 7 70.00%
No 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2003, 05:40 AM   #1
cj10488

Well I finally Finished my Canopy today

Well after many hours of working on my canopy I was able to get everything together and get the lights all wired and Installed.. I still have plenty more work to do but I needed to get it done so that the lights come on tomorrow without any disturbances... So far so Good.. How does it look to you guys??? Any suggestions???

TIA,
James
Old 11-20-2003, 05:50 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, it's almost 2 am where your at, I am up almost on my way out the door for work...I think your up kind late playing with you fihs tank

It looks great, but I do have some constructive critisism.

1) the front panel doesn't appear to be flush on the left side, it appears to be hinged and I'm not sure hte reasoning for that with 4 doors across the front.

2) The doors...one has the grain going up and fown, the other three goe right to left as does the front panel, just sticks out at me.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:59 AM   #3
cj10488

Yes the Left side is uneven for some reason I am thinking Cheap wood... I was a bit bummed about that and I did end up fixing it but it mad it too small for the tank.. I am by no means a carpenter or anything and this was just the first project that I did.. I cant believe I didnt notice that Grain issue though.. I guess thats what you get for working on projects for too long... I plan on fixing the 1 door however I do not know how I can fix that one side... I tried everything that I could think of and just said forget it...

Thanks Again,
James
Old 11-20-2003, 06:02 AM   #4
cj10488

Quote:
it appears to be hinged and I'm not sure hte reasoning for that with 4 doors across the front
The reason being was that I wanted small doors so that I don't blind myself when feeding and I can open one or 2 doors for feeding and Maintaince.. And it I wanted to do Rearraging I can open the entie front and not worry about little spaces from the doors..

James
Old 11-20-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well finally a subject I can give advise in. I am a decorating freeeek. I think if if painted it black to match the base you could take care of the grain issue it would most likely not stand out as it does now... By taking the handles off before painting and leaving them off you could also eliminate having the number of doors from standing out.. I dint notice the left side at all so it looks good to me!!!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I built a canopy a week or so ago as well. Mine isn't perfect either but I think it' nice and it beats paying a ton for one It also feels better knowing that I build it.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Looks better than my attempt at bulding a canopy the first time.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks better than anything I could prob do.
I agree, IMO, it could look better if it was black
and the knobs were taken off.

Anyone know of a link on how to build one?
I've never really built anything before except
bookshelves, so a "How to build a canopy
for idiots" would be prefered.
Thanks!
Old 11-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
cj10488

I just used many peoples design for my hood and took a basic Frame & Shell concept.. As for the canopy being Black I am in the process of either buying or building a stand to match the canopy.. I truely do not like black Furniture as the Oak look is much better... I am a bit hesitant on building a Stand for the tank due to the weight that it would need to hold... I plan on over the weekend to build a canopy for my 29g and see if I can do a better (perfect) job as I like to be as my wife calls me a "Perfectionist"... Its just all most all my furniture is Oak and I would not want to add anymore Black furniture to the mix.. I plan on recutting the door and staining it and mounting it so that the grain is in the right direction.. No more 2am carpentry jobs for me

James
Old 11-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey we aregoing to have a canopy and stand for a 29 we aren't going to need anymore after today if you are interested

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canopy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com