Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to rhopkins
Well water for use in a saltwater tank

I have a well that I am wondering if it's water would be suitable for a saltwater tank? It is clear and tests show it has 30 TDS. It is chemical free and has been checked by a lab to be free of metals etc. There is no way I would use city water it has a TDS of 150ppm. So my well is cleaner than the tap water coming into my house. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Fish R friends, not food!

When my tds out of my ro/di unit shows anything other than 0, I change the filters. I would think any tds will become an issue eventually.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fact is there IS something in your well water. The important question is WHAT? It can't be free of chemicals and minerals for 2 reasons. First, that would be a very exhaustive series of hundreds of tests. The local lab will only test for a few critical chems and minerals based on toxicity and your location. The second reason is there isn't really anything left. And that argues with the 30ppm TDS measurement.
I would check for a few things at home. Most importantly nitrates and phosphates. 2 very common well water ingredients. Also copper if you can due to its toxicity to corals.
Depending on where you live, anything they may mine for nearby may also be in well water.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to rhopkins
You brought up some very good points. I live in Southern Arkansas and there is no mining around here. I am convinced that RO is worth the money just to be sure nothing is going on with mineral issues.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com