Well Water instead of RO/DI water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethan T

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! I currently live in Auburn, AL (WAR EAGLE!), and I have been using RO/DI water for topping off the evaporated water. However, this Christmas break I am giving my tank to my brother back home. They live on a farm and run off a well system since it's in the middle of no where. I was wondering if it's possible to use well water instead of using RO/DI water. Also, any advice on moving the 30 gal tank? It's a FOWLR tank with two clowns, fire fish, and CUC. Thanks!

You really will never know what's in the water. Chlorine obviously won't be a problem, but metals and other deadly things can. And moving with a tank- I have never done it, but you'll find somebody who has.

You really will never know what's in the water. Chlorine obviously won't be a problem, but metals and other deadly things can.

I would suggest they invest in an ro/di unit or use distilled water.Brilliant_Barbs_21 is right you never know what other harmful chemicals can be found in well water.If that isn't an option at least a tds tester and some form of filtration is better than nothing at all.a tds reading is optimal at 0 but I have heard that water testing not much higher than 0 is still acceptable. They may need to add additional tests for copper and maybe others.
I am sorry I do not know how to transport tanks and fish but as mentioned it is common to move tanks.i hope to get information as well as I am sure to move in the future.

Back
Top Bottom