Well Water Ok to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone here use well water? I know that R/O is recommended, but I have yet to purchase a unit. I did test my water for ammonia and nitrite and it is zero. I was just curious if anyone here uses it?

I wouldn't think well water would be safe to use unless you have a inline filter in your home to filter out the heavy metals and such that some well water contain. Things like excess sulfur or copper from ground water could be bad.

The only problem with well water is that it doesnt always stay the same. If there is a dump or an old dump around it could leach stuff in it. Also wells have a lot of heavy metals in it. Test you water on a TDS meter and it will show you.

The only problem with well water is that it doesnt always stay the same.

That's my same issue with tap water. And tap water is FAR more consistent than well water.

It really all depends on your individual situation. Some folks use well or tap water with no problems at all. And others use it, and will always wonder if problems they see in their tank (mysterious fish deaths, algae issues, corals failing to thrive) are because of their water. We can test for so few water parameters, just because a handful (literally) are OK, doesn't mean the water is OK.

Back
Top Bottom