West coast Pacific Ocean tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Payuco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I just registered on the forum finally, but have read some over the last week or so because I was interested in setting up an old tank with some new fish.

Anyway, I have decided to go with freshwater, but someday I will go with saltwater.

In my current job, I have had the opportunity to survey many beaches in Washington State around Anacortes. One interesting area has been deception pass where I have seen some really neat saltwater creatures.

I have also seen some saltwater tanks set up by organizations in Washington State which contain some of the local fish.

What I am wondering is, where can I find information specifically for this area? I tried google with no luck except for finding many pages on the bit pacific ocean aquarium in California.

I would like to know more about keeping a saltwater aquarium with the local fish and would like to know if it's possible to actually use some of the wild fish, rock, sand, etc. Where might I find state laws on removing wild animals, vegeation, rock, etc.?

Thank you

I have also seen some saltwater tanks set up by organizations in Washington State which contain some of the local fish.

Those folks might be able to answer some of your questions, about local laws and such.

As for pulling sand from your local beach, think of the beach as a huge pollution filter, all that stuff washes up on it, so that might not be a very healthy place to get your water/sand.
Sorry I couldn't help any more....

I will have to agree with Roka on the substrate part of your tank. Pulling sand from one of the beaches will generally have to much contaminants for the home aquarium. As far as using local species for your tanks inhabitants theres a right and a wrong way of doing it. Generally any info available on the subject will come from your local wildlife commision or game and fish department. The ones who regulate hunting and fishing in your state. Most of the time it is illegal to take native animals into your posession unless being harvested for sport and killed before transport. However I know that AZ will let you keep native fish in a home aquarium, but you have to apply for a permit and you also have to register your aquarium as a lake. Sounds totally crazy but if you want the native species tank you generally need to get somesort of written permission by the wildlife agency beforehand. Hope this answeres some questions and points you in the right track.

Found this link!
http://wdfw.wa.gov

You could contact this administration by email or phone and ask about there policies on the currant matter, and see if they have an application process of sorts for what you want to do. Being that it is a government agency be prepared to wait a while. HTH

[/quote]unless being harvested for sport and killed before transport
Seems kinda silly, you can kill them, but not take them to let them live in your house! LOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom