Wet&Dry filter sock vs. bio ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amandry7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a newbie so when I got ready to get the things needed to start my cycle, I was introduced to the the sock that is use to replace the bio balls. They told me all the pros of the sock, he explained hoe with the bio balls all though they are still great they tend to trap a lot of the bad things that will eventually , in years, bring problems to the system... So a few questions now that I started my cycle, doesn't the sock trap the same bad things? Why is it acceptable to wash the sock and have replacements? Wouldn't that wash away the bacteria needed for the system to run at its best? I bought the sock but at this point I'm using both the sock and bio balls together, is that ok?

I am of the opinion that the sock is a detritus trap to be used with the bio balls and that is why they need to be cleaned frequently. (no soap though)

Good, now at this point I should never clean the bio balls, correct?

Um, I was told they would still need to be rinsed.
I am forgoing the bioballs and am replacing with live rock instead

If I rinse the sock and bio balls am I not rinsing away the good bacteria? Does that cause for the cycle to start againg? I will be adding live rocks shortly as well and have a deep sand bed

Is this a new setup? if so; imo I don't think it is needed until you start adding food etc

When you are rinsing the bio balls don't do all of them at one. I say half one week and then the other have the next week. That wool be fine. That way you are not getting rid of all the bacteria at once

Is it correct to assume that the sock is rinsed under the tap (or shower) to remove all detritus and the bio balls are rinsed in either properly treated water or water from a partial water change to preserve the BB?

Yes when you 'wash' them a good shake/squeeze in the old tank water will preserve the good bacteria or most of it anyway, that way any rotting chunks or rotting stuff is removed. Using a sink or any chlorinated water will kill the bacteria...

Great advice specially about rinsing them in changed water, great way to cross utilize.. how often should the bio balls be rinsed ? With every water change? Or would be ok to alternate one week the sock and the next the bio balls?

Back
Top Bottom