Wet dry and fuge????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-rock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I got a 90 gallon tank I am just starting up soon. It's just gonna be fish only(for now). But I have lots of live sand, I am proably going to start with a few pieces of live rock then add the rest in dry rock. I don't plan on adding fish for a few months. So in my 30 gallon sump I was thinking about spilting it into thirds. And do one side with a wet dry and skimmer. Return in the middle. And fuge on the other side to try to take care of nitrates down the road. Have anyone tried this before running a wet dry and a refugium in the same system??

Wet/dry filters are really old school and inefficient. If anything, you should do an algae scrubber and refugium. You wouldn't even need a protein skimmer.

I have heard of turf scrubbers. Do you have any good literature one or plans to make one? I will look around

Good call that helped alot. Now I just need to decide if I want to use a powered or tee off of my return

Hmmm now I am pretty hooked on the idea of putting in a turf scruber. I would like to run it off of my overflow or the return from the pump. Which would be better?

I would rather have a skimmer. LR and a skimmer is all you need. LR to house the beneficial bacteria and a skimmer to remove dissolved organic compounds.

I would rather have a skimmer. LR and a skimmer is all you need. LR to house the beneficial bacteria and a skimmer to remove dissolved organic compounds.

+1 I would agree. A skimmer can be your best friend in getting organics out of your water and it's easy too. lol

a wet/dry setup almost finishes the cycle, but cannot convert the nitrate to gas. this will be a source of nitrate down the road. i would suggest against it.

Is it bad idea to run both? I am willing to try it. And if it sucks I can just turn it into a fuge

That what I thought. And it seems like it would make the most since on paper. Wet dry would turn everything into nirates and isnt that the main job if a fuge to absorb nirates? But I have little experience using sumps...but I have a few more days to gather info before I make a choice. This is helping thanks in advance

Wet dry filters work just fine for FO. If you use bio-balls, just rinse them in tank water every 6 months to clear them of debris. Live rock in your DT will help with nitrates, as does water changes. Nitrates do not have the same impact on fish as they do on corals. Adding a skimmer would help.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Wet dry filters work just fine for FO. If you use bio-balls, just rinse them in tank water every 6 months to clear them of debris. Live rock in your DT will help with nitrates, as does water changes. Nitrates do not have the same impact on fish as they do on corals. Adding a skimmer would help.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
they also work on tanks that have over 10 grand worth of sps and lps

Just trying to figure out which knife to use. And there will Definetaly be a skimmer. Any recomdations?? Doesn't have to be fancy just something that's gets the job done

Do I have to have a store to have one. It looks like there a wholesaler?

Back
Top Bottom